Thread: Dust collector set up

Dust collector set up

I'm thinking of putting my dust collector outside my small shop. I was going to drill a hole in the wall so I could put the suction hose through. The question is has anybody put a second hose into the room so the intake air for the DC comes from the shop thus making the pressure balanced and not sucking all the conditioned air out of the shop? Otherwise I would think there would be a vacuum in the room. What do you think? Thanks for any ideas.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan - you would need to have some way for air to get into the shop. It would either be through small cracks and leaks, or through a dedicated vent. The con to such an approach is often the issue of losing heated or air conditioned air. You don't mention why you want t d this - is it for lack of space, or noise?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I want to locate the DC outside the shop mostly for space restrictions in my small shop. Plus it's nice to have the noise away from you when it's running. It's a small Delta DC with a bag.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I built a "dog house" outside of my shop (insulated for MN extremes). I put a 6" vent between the shop and dust collector room that is louvered so that when the dust collecter is not running there is very little air exchange between the unconditioned room. It is amazing how much air moves through the vent when it is running so definitely make sure you have a sufficient vent back into the conditioned space.