Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC 7518 router question

PC 7518 router question

Last fall, as my shop addition was being built, I bought a Jessum Mast-R-Lift in anticipation of building a router table when I got the shop done. Shop's been done a long time since, but I'm finally getting around to thinking about the router table project. Back then I had to chose which model for which router I was going to use. At that time everyone seemed to like the PC or the Milwaukee. Seemed a toss up so I picked the PC. That, and I figured I could just buy the motor only and save a little money. And of course, NOW that I'm ready to buy the router I'm starting to see some threads about the finicky variable speed controls of the 7518! So, did I screw up here, or is this just a isolated problem that a few people are having?? Doesn't seem like they can be too bad, I never see one on CL, and it's on my "want to buy" list, LOL. Thanks. Greg

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Is this a new problem? It's the first I have heard of it. I have a 7518 and a 7539, no problems with either one.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think that it is possible to find a thread someplace about a problem with just about any tool. The 7518 has been one of the leading routers for tables for a decade or so with lots of happy users. I had one for years before eventually going to a Milwaukee but the 7518 I used was as stable as could be. I think I just wore it out over the years that included milling all of the baseboards and trim for a three-room total rebuild in our home.
    I don't think you messed up at all.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Agree with Tom..

I have had mine for 1-1/2 years.. it was an anniversary gift from my wife.. Its in a lift and see's regular use.. PC has taken a downhill slide in the past few years since being " Black and Deckerized" .. but the 7518 was an older model...

I have a 7518 in my router table. While it has plenty of power, it has way too much runout, vibrates too much. Every single PC router I have purchased in the last couple of years has had this problem. This is the what you get when the equipment is made in China and the company provides no quailty control. I can guarantee that these routers come directly from a chineese factory and does not see the light of day until the anwary consumer opens the box. I would lean more towards the Milwaukee. I do have a lot of Milwakee power tools and all but one has served me well.
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 06-17-2011 at 4:59 AM.

I have one in my router table. I've been having problems with the speed control. It will fluctuate between high & low when I'm using it. It started about 2 yrs ago. I would take it apart blow the fine sawdust out & would work fine up until 3 weeks ago. I bought another motor & I'm going to fix the other. I just looked up the speed control part & it's 120.00....I guess I won't be fixing it right away....
    Last edited by Jay Jolliffe; 06-17-2011 at 6:06 AM.

I've used a 7518 in router table for almost 4 years and no problems with motor or speed control. Just another fact: I always use dust collection so I have air flowing around the motor when using -- don't know if this helps re motor/speed control longevity or not.

I have three of them, and one of them the speed control burned out. But this is after many years of hard commercial use, so I don't consider it a fault. It was the soft start feature that messed up so I bypassed that circuit.

It is sad that Dewalt is screwing up the whole line for short term profit. I bought up a bunch of the stuff I like before it changed so I would be set.

When I am swinging a 4 1/2"" diameter cove bit, I would not have it in any other router.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    I have a 7518 in my router table. While it has plenty of power, it has way too much runout, vibrates too much. Every single PC router I have purchased in the last couple of years has had this problem. This is the what you get when the equipment is made in China and the company provides no quailty control. I can guarantee that these routers come directly from a chineese factory and does not see the light of day until the anwary consumer opens the box. I would lean more towards the Milwaukee. I do have a lot of Milwakee power tools and all but one has served me well.
    Actually some of the parts come from China, and some from Germany...and some from Jackson Tennessee. Porter Cable Electrical Hand tools are assembled in Reynossa Mexico.
    Mick

Blog Entries
    My 7518 router is a tank, I love it. I bought it for $15 from a cabinet shop that used it for CNC work. They burned out the brushes, PC sent me new brushes for free, I paid the shipping. I have been using it almost daily for 3 years. I would say but one, there is no reason to have buyers regret on this model.

As a former reconditioning tech with Porter Cable, I can offer this advice about the 7518. The variable speed card is subject to failure at any time, and the fan end bearing has a habit of working loose. These are the only issues I noticed in the five years I spent in the recon section at PC. Run out can be caused by the bearing loosening up, but is quite easily corrected. Remove the motor cover and you will be looking at a rather large socket head set screw. Tighten the screw to the point that you feel some resistance when hand spinning the spindle. Back off the screw about an eighth of a full turn and you should be set. As for the speed card, there is no known cure...besides replacement. This fault was a known issue when Pentair owned Porter Cable and they were manufactured in Tennessee.
    I can also say that the 7518 was one of the less frequent visitors to the recon shop. Maybe 1 or two per month. That isn't a bad track record considering how many were built. I do agree with others who state that Black and Decker(now Stanley/Black and Decker) have let the quality slip. This is common though in the current market. A lot of Millwaukee products come from abroad as well. I wouldn't buy a used one, as tough as they are, folks tend to work them to death. As in running a 4 1/2" bit The machine simply was not built for such things...
    My two cents.
    Mick

Like Paul just posted, it's a tank. And, in the Jessem lift, it's a tank on steroids. In a SOLID heavy table, that combo can't be beat.
    I've had mine for about 10 years and have made bunches of raised panels, as well as lots of small stuff, and 100s of feet of molding. Not a whimper!
    Never had an issue with the speed control.

And, Thanks for the tech advice, Mickey.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't stress. The 7518 is a proven performer. The other favorite locomotive for the roter table, the Milwaukee 5625, has had some issues reported in the past with collet bearings (6 years ago or so) and power switches. Occasional runs that expose poor selections in parts or assembly methods have always been handled quickly by both manufacturers in my recollection. I haven't heard about either unit having problems for some time. I have been running my 5625's for years trouble free but, have always had dust collection which, the lack of, may have contributed to some of the complaints on either tool.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a CNC machine and use a cool device called a Super PID. IT is an external speed controller with digital read out that can be retrofitted to just about any router. No this is not one of those cheap spped controls. You install a feed back sensor and it mantains the speed down to 5000 RPM. I have used it on three different routers and was thingking og ripping the electronics out of my 7518 and hooking one of these up. This would give me speed control and actual RPM feed back out side the router table.

Gene,

I have had the 7518 and Mast-R-Lift (actually, Incra's co-branded version) for the last several years and love it.

FWIW regarding complaints about the 7518, I spend quite a bit of time on routerforums.com and keep an eye open for discussions of those items since I have experience with them. <g>

Again, FWIW, in that forum the 7518 is considered on of the top couple of routers for router table use... and I've only heard of one person with a speed control issue on one.

That said, I am a hobbyest, not a production shop, so the biggest load mine has had was planing a 1/4" off of a 3'x7' workbench. IT was running a 1-3/8" flatbottomed (woodhaven) bit and did the job straight through without any heating or other problems. Actually, it didn't seem to be working much.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV..

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 06-17-2011 at 4:53 PM.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!