Thread: Issue with bowl finish

Issue with bowl finish

I was at a show yesterday selling some of my work. It started to rain pretty hard. Before we could get the sides down on the gazebo, some of my bowls got wet. When the rain stopped, we got some towels and wiped them off. However, there where whitish spots on the bowls.

I finished the bowls with danish oil. Once dry, I buffed them with tripole then carnuba wax.

My question is what are they, and how to get rid of them?
    WoodChux

Raymond, this problem has led a lot of folks to Renaissance Wax, or one of the generic microcrystaline brands sold by various sources, including Lee Valley and PSI. The Ren wax is not prone to water spots or finger prints.

I suspect you will need to wipe down your pieces with mineral spirits to remove the wax, and then reapply - preferably Ren wax.

Thanks John. I'll give that a try.
    WoodChux

Carnuba wax will give you water spots. I have quit using carnuba altogether and don't use beeswax much anymore. Ren Wax is all I will use. I can't say about the generic wax as I have never used it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Carnuba wax shows anything moisture related - including fingerprints! Once I tried Ren wax - haven't used carnuba since. Nice thing about Ren wax is that it does not need heat to spread it. Wipe on - wipe off and you are done!

If you can buff the water spots off the bowls - great. Ren wax can be applied right over the carnuba. Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks guys. I just ordered some ren wax and will give it a try.
    WoodChux

Just asking, but can't you use heat to remove the water spots in carnuba wax?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------