Thread: Heirloom Walnut

Heirloom Walnut

Over 20 years ago, a walnut tree that was in front of my grandfather's childhood home died. My dad, a sometimes woodworker, had a local sawyer cut the tree up into usable boards. Some 8/4, some 4/4. Dad used the "heirloom walnut" for many small projects including boxes, turkey calls, a couple of fitted shotgun cases, etc.

He recently gave me the last of the walnut, which I will use for smaller, special projects worthy of the heirloom wood. One larger timber was in the stack though. It is about 4x7x about 7-8 feet long. He had it stored on the floor of his boat garage for 20 years, which occasionally (though rarely) flooded to about an inch. About 10 years ago I put stickers under it so I don't think it has flooded in a decade or more.

The timber is the middle of the log, as I can see the center growth rings on both ends. The timber has warped quite a bit, and the part that was down is punky from water damage about 1/4 inch. The timber could be machined square and true in shorter lengths, perhaps for table legs or something similar.

After all the preamble, my question. The sawyer didn't cut the center of the log into boards for some reason. It may have been on instructions of my Dad, but I don't know that. Is the center of the log unstable or unsuitable for use? Is it sound wood with good qualities? I think I can machine some decent stock out of it after removing the punky layer and the drying checks, plus shortening the pieces, but if the wood is not suitable due to being the center of the log, that will guide me on how much effort I should put into it...

Opinions? Thanks all..

Doug

The very center of the log is very prone to warp....
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

The center of the log is called the pith. It will likely have checks on all sides. It is very prone to warping and twisting due to the counteracting forces of the wood movement. I have had good luck cutting narrow boards out of it and letting it acclimate for a while. I'd use it for small projects where wood movement is not an issue.

Dan

Hard to tell. Seems to me all you can do is try it. May work out, may not.

Boxed heart

What you have is the "boxed heart" which is always left after sawing a log for face. The boxed heart is useful for pallets, architectural worke etc. It is not considered a cabinet grade piece of lumber. Of course this shouldn't stop you from trying should you choose to!

Oh, I see he is talking about a 4x7 timber cut from the very heart. Hmm, not good. And it is warped, and boy, I don't think I'd even try to cut that bugger whole. If there are good parts, why not cut them off into short sections and band saw them? Make some boxes or something small.

I suspected as much. It is warped at least 6 inches over the 7+/- feet. There are checks and the aforementioned punky side. My guess is it was a small mill and that was probably as small a cant that they could cut, plus it was getting into the unstable part. If I can mill it four square in smaller lengths and it stays stable, it sounds like it would be usable. Otherwise I will do what has been suggested and cut small pieces for gifts and such. I also have a small amount of 2 decade old air dried 4/4 and 8/4 boards that are 3-4 feet in length, that will also make many small meaningful things.

Thanks all for the advice.

D

Wouldn't the outer parts of the slab have quarter sawn grain?

Mitch