Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 45 restoration project

Well I'm back home and picking up where I left off. I still have green to get rid of on different small pieces and some inside of the cabinet of the stand. Am I crazy to get all this green off just to paint it green again?
    I am finding some prices on the bearings. I have sent emails out and gotten back a wide difference of prices. One bearing went from $15 to $65 in range. All of the bearings I have requested are name brands. I really don't want to replace a bearing after all the work I am putting in this lathe. The bottom line is $90 for all the bearings plus tax and shipping. My wife is buying me the wrench and indexing plunger for my birthday this month so that will aid the restoration. Now it time to find the primer and paint for the lathe so I can begin to start the reverse process.

Hey Doug, may be a little late but if you want to remove the paint from difficult areas get yourself a dremel tool and 2 "bits." the cup wire brush and 3m pad. I use them all the time when restoring planes to remove old stubborn japanning that does not respond to chemical strippers.

PJS

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Scoma View Post
    Hey Doug, may be a little late but if you want to remove the paint from difficult areas get yourself a dremel tool and 2 "bits." the cup wire brush and 3m pad. I use them all the time when restoring planes to remove old stubborn japanning that does not respond to chemical strippers.

PJS
    1. I have a Dremel Tool even with the extension cable
    2. I'm still removing paint so Ill give it a try. Thank you.

Nothing is ever too late at this end. I may need it for another project!
    Last edited by Doug Morgan; 07-01-2011 at 8:07 AM.

Well I worked on several different pieces parts today as well as repairing 2 computers. Very busy but made lots of progress. I started on the head stock housing. I sand blasted till I was exhausted trying to get rid of as much paint as I could.
    head stock 2.jpg
    Then it was the cover that went with the housing.
    head stock cover.jpg
    Then I went to the lower sheave mount and it turned out good.
    Lower sheave mount.jpg
    But I ran out of my material used to blast the paint off so there is a small amount of green left.
    Tail Stock.jpg

Please let me know what you think. A suggestion never goes unappreciated....

I was able to disassemble the tool rest tonight. To do this I had to create a tool that could drive out the bass bushing and remove the shaft. I ran into a problem when I tried to remove the shaft. It had flared near the brass bushing so I had to file a little off to get the shaft out the hole in the housing.
    Tool rest.jpg

What kind of blast media did you use and did you use a siphon feed or pressure pot?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    What kind of blast media did you use and did you use a siphon feed or pressure pot?
    It was a siphon feed (if I had to do it again it would be a pressure pot or a gravity feed). As for the medial I used black blast from Menards. It is hard and sharp to clean away paint. If you enlarge the shot on the tail stock you can see the black media blast that I used.

Cool

Got back to the sand blaster and really took it to task. I cleaned the banjo up as best I could. Then back home to the ole grinder and put the polishing wheel on it to clean it up.

freshly polished.jpg

Its sad to think that most of what I just finished will not be seen by the average person. Compare this to the image above. Same unit just cleaned and polished.
    bottom of tool rest.jpg

Here is the tail stock all cleaned up.
    tail stock cleaned.jpg

It makes me feel good that I am making great progress.
    close up of where paint was.jpg

Look ma no green paint here!

Bottom of tail stock.jpg

Or here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far this project started Jun 11 and its July 3 now. Not to bad, but still a ways to go.

Well today is the day that the disassembly stops. I feel I am at a point that now its time for paint.
    I began the day working on the motor, removing the mount, removing end caps and geting the motor down to basics.
    motor 1.jpg

motor 2.jpg

I stripped the rest of the stand (you'll see later) and went to work on polishing parts. Here you see the tool rest clamp behind a part that had not been stripped, cleaned or polished. The clamp started out like that part before I got ahold of it.
    tool rest clamp 2.jpg

Then it was the tool rest itself that got the polish wheel. The edge of the tool rest is polished to a nice luster.
    additional polished parts.jpg

Another view from the left side of the tool rest.
    Polished parts 2.jpg

The tail stock got some work as well. I already had the wheel polished as well as the adjusting quill nut but I also polished the tail stock lock nut.
    Tail stock polished parts.jpg

Then there were additional parts that were cleaned and polished.
    additional polished parts 2.jpg

Hope you guys like. Please comments are welcome.

I just couldn't resist the temptation to stage the lathe at this point.

lathe 1.jpg

lathe 2.jpg

lathe 3.jpg

lathe 4.jpg

Hi Doug,

Your lathe is looking good. You did a first class job in removing the old paint and polishing selected parts. Now the fun starts when you can get started painting. I am interested in what type of primer and paint you are going to use. I have two Dewalt radial arm saws, and a Davis and Wells bandsaw I am going to restore. I have a few other items to finish up first. Great job, thanks for all of the photo's.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Hi Doug,

Your lathe is looking good. You did a first class job in removing the old paint and polishing selected parts. Now the fun starts when you can get started painting. I am interested in what type of primer and paint you are going to use. I have two Dewalt radial arm saws, and a Davis and Wells bandsaw I am going to restore. I have a few other items to finish up first. Great job, thanks for all of the photo's.

Sam
    Thanks Sam. I have had a lot of enjoyment out of restoring this lathe. I want it to be the best I can do, no short cuts, no rigging to make it work, just plain simple hard work.

Not a good way to start your search for paint. I went on the internet to look for a GOOD paint for the lathe. I knew that the primer would be expensive either self etching or epoxy. The guy at the automotive store told me they can only get it in gallons (NOT TRUE). He may not want to order others but they come in pints, half gallons, and gallons (I saw the supplier he was quoting and went to their site on the net). Then he got into the paint. Here's where he wanted to take me for a ride. We needed the paint (only sold in gallons), reducer (only sold in gallons) and hardener (guess what...only sold in gallons). Now I'm not a professional painter or body worker but I'm not a fool either. After the final tally he wanted $370 "will that be cash or credit card?". I just turned and walked out the door.
    Last edited by Doug Morgan; 07-05-2011 at 6:00 PM.