Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of fire extinguisher is in your shop?

What type of fire extinguisher is in your shop?

I'd like to get a small one for the shop.

Kidde dry chemical. My shop is too small for CO2 and I wouldn't want to asphixiate myself with it, but you can use either one as both are effective on wood fires. Besides, dry chem is much cheaper.

Yep - your basic home hardware variety (a medium size unit) hanging clearly by the door. (I dont want to be searching for it when the time comes that its needed)

Kidde dry chemical
    Same here. Keep it mounted in an easily accessible place - you don't want to have to fumble around looking for it.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

CO2 is almost useless in a woodshop unless you have a liquid fire. Triclass dry chemical is a little better, but not much. A better and less expensive option is a pressurized water extinguisher with some dish detergent added to the water to break the surface tension. This backed up with a dry chemical for electrical fires would give you good protection. Small dry chemical fire extinguishers create a false sense of security. I like the then pound size and have them in my vehicles and around the house and garage. Get the good ones with metal valves that can be recharged. I pick up the pressurized water units at garage sales. You can fill them yourselves. The dish detergent will even create a smothering foam if you have the right nozzle on it or you can make you own nozzle to do this.

CPeter

Amerex 5 lb dry chemical mounted by door right under first aid kit. This brand has metal handle and mounting bracket unlike some other brands that have plastic handles and mounting brackets/straps. You won't find these at the big box stores. I purchased from a safety supply house for about $52 + tax.

Hope I never need it but, I am prepared.
    DSC01545.JPG

In addition to the standard Kidde 5lb fire extinguisher I have a unit from Griots Garage which hangs on the wall by the furnace in my shop. It holds 26lbs of ABC rated dry powder extinguisher which is released at 155 degrees F. Price $69.99. They also sell a larger ceiling mount extiquisher for $149.99 which I have in my garages and over my home furnace. Check www.griotsgarage.com

Blog Entries
    Kidde A-B-C as recommended by the fire department here. I have one 5lb at each exit point and another smaller one there as well (bought before I realized I needed bigger units).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have two abc units. I only have one entrance to my basement shop, so I keep one at the far end of the basement so I can fight my way out if necessary.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

ABC and I have a few of them. Front door, machine room and finishing room.

I guess I am like most, have the Kidde A-B-C and it is placed where I can get to it very easily. For my little shop, 12x16 I think one will do me fine.

Two Kiddie ABCs...one by the exit of my shop, and one on the interior. The interior one lets me fight my way out. The one by the exit removes the temptation to fight it out as I have to practically be standing in the front door to get to it.

I have two 20 lb ABC dry chemical and one 20 lb CO2 extinguisher in my shop, and a connected garden hose with nozzle hanging just outside the door that will reach all the way around both the inside and outside of my shop. One dry chemical and the CO2 are located near the door and the other dry chemical is near the double door. You would be very surprised how little fire one of the smaller extinguishers (5 lb or less) can put out, especially in the hands of someone who hasn't had training in it's proper use. Although CO2 isn't rated for class A fires (wood and paper) it's surprising how much fire can be put out with it, and it leaves no mess afterward. You will be breathing and vacuuming the powder from a dry chemical fire extinguisher out of your shop for months after you have to use one. The CO2 is the perfect choice for electrical and paint fires.

I am a retired fire marshal.
    Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 06-19-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Two posts talking about "fighting" your way out of a fire with a small extinquisher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is impossible and has never happened in the history of humans and fire. Might be best to focus on getting out, rather than fire suppression efforts....

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    Two posts talking about "fighting" your way out of a fire with a small extinquisher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is impossible and has never happened in the history of humans and fire. Might be best to focus on getting out, rather than fire suppression efforts....

-Steve
    How do you get out if fire is blocking your way?