Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1st Annual Great Messy Shop Smack Down!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Morgano View Post
    I'm not even going to submit and entry here....after looking at the pro's shops, I'm ashamed to say that my shop more closely resembles Johns. With a 6" dust pickup right above the tool rest, I get most of the chips and all the dust as it comes off the lathe. The rest, I usually vacuum up within a day. I'm truly ashamed.
    Ed, just as soon as this "contest of shaving waders" is over, perhaps the rest of us poor loosers can form a support group!?!?

I think some qualify for a snow shovel at least. The Bob Cat would solve some in need of a extra cleaning.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

My humble submission.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Quote Originally Posted by J.D.Redwine View Post
    My humble submission.
    I am just speechless!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    FWIW, I have appointed my self the unofficial arbiter of this contest. My "creds" are well documented. As a recently reformed "shop slob" who has just recovered from a mess of galactic proportions, I cannot imagine anyone more qualified than myself to identify the messiest shop. Unless anyone has any better ideas of course. I think we should all chip in and buy the winner a broom and dustpan. Maybe if we get enough pledges, we could throw in a can of rustbegone...
    David, I have no problem with you having the last say.........particularly since Richard clearly cleaned my clock ( no pun intended).
    I turn, therefore I am

how about this?
    the first is the area on the bench behind the lathe that holds my tools. the chips always stay there. the second is a whole shot. the third is the stuff piled right beside where i stand. not staged, this is how it is.

there is so much chips laying around, i have to take the switch off my lathe and take the actual switch apart and clean it of wood chips to make it run some times
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curtis rosche; 06-20-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

wait till i get a shot of the other work bench and the drill press.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Here's mine.
    Granted there are others with more shavings, but for overall messiness I think I rate at least an honorable mention . I should have taken a wider shot to include the workbench and table saw, but it was just too much even for me, to expose to public view, I did however, include a shot of the mess extending to the outside and that's only about 1/4 of the outside mess.

6-19-11 06s.jpg6-19-11 15s.jpg6-19-11 16s.jpg6-19-11 14s.jpg

6-19-11 05s.jpg
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I can see now why you people get to buy new tools all the time. You drop it or lay it down and its never seen again. Keep the pictures commin' I'm checking out the competition.,and so far I'm not going to win this one.

There certainly are some fine entries in this "smackdown" and while I want to avoid any impropriety by "influencing our self appointed judge", I would be remiss if I did not point out the wonderful entry by Kathy.

At the risk of this sounding sexist, I believe we can all agree that men normally have the upper hand at things such as this - having had years of experience at making messes with the luckiest of us having a gentle hearted lady assisting with putting things back in order. It is a rare case indeed, when we have a female entrant with such remarkable credentials in this area.

FWIW, I highly recommend Kathy for "Honorable Mention" at the very least.

Again, I do apologize if this is construed as some effort to influence the outcome. And, the standard disclaimer - "The views expressed in this post are those of the OP, and do not necessarily reflect the views of SMC."

I hate to say this but my shop is like John's
    when I'm done turning ( with dust collector on )
    I instantly clean the area around the lathe and shop area
    what I miss the wife will walk out and grab the shop vac and clean the rest
    my shop is used and so is the collection system
    Ken
    (can we have a clean shop contest)
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

No entry for me. I wouldn't stand a chance given some of these impressive photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.Redwine View Post
    My humble submission.
    My my...this is a superb submission of serious acute horizontal surface syndrome. Note that even the supports for roof/wall are engaged fully in the accumulation, and narely 1/2 sq ft of clear horizontal surface is visible. Well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    Here's mine.
    Granted there are others with more shavings, but for overall messiness I think I rate at least an honorable mention . I should have taken a wider shot to include the workbench and table saw, but it was just too much even for me, to expose to public view, I did however, include a shot of the mess extending to the outside and that's only about 1/4 of the outside mess.
    Kathy Kathy Kathy...I see no sugar and spice in these shots...I'd say you're giving the boys a good run for the money...er, well, broom perhaps. I do like your license plate, btw.

I have serious horizontal surface syndrome myself...but I do remove chips after each session or end of day. I won't even try to compete at the level this has gone.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I started this thread as a fun and humorous one. What I am starting to realize is I am not as messy as originally thought. In fact, there are a couple of entrees that make me look like a white glove turner. This must be very hard for John K. to witness.
    I turn, therefore I am

If there were to be turners with messier shops that what we've already witnessed here, we probably aren't going to see pictures of their shops. As a matter of fact, we may never hear from them again! Not only are their tools lost.....
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."