Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood/Sheetgoods & jointer

Plywood/Sheetgoods & jointer

How do you guys get a crisp, perfectly straight edge on sheetgoods, like plywood to be used for a book case where you'd attach a hardwood faceframe or hardwood strips on the front edge of shelving? I generally use the factory edge of the plywood along the fence, rip to a little wider than I actually need it, and then rotate it, to then cut of the factory edge and sharpen it up. Just wondering if there's a better way to do it. I'd like to use my jointer, but I'm not sure the glues and perpendicular grain layers on the ply wouldn't be really hard on the knives?
    Thanks in advance for your help/thoughts/suggestions.

My shop is not big enough for me to use the table saw so I use a good straight edge and a skill saw with a plywood blade. My edges are smooth and ready to use after that.

Jason - the method you use seems pretty sound. So is using a circ saw but the key to both is a good blade. I don't think running plywood through a joint is a good idea.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Jason - the method you use seems pretty sound. So is using a circ saw but the key to both is a good blade. I don't think running plywood through a joint is a good idea.
    +1

I agree, although I straight line rip mine, then rip to width.

Jointing sheet goods isn't good for the knives, and you need a big jointer to straighten a piece of wood as long as a bookcase side.

Regards, Rod.

I sometimes will joint a plywood strip or two. It definitely leaves its mark on my knives. Not a problem with a 20" jointer. I just use the very front or the very back of the jointer, everything else goes in between. Now if you can't spare a couple of inches of blade, its a definite no-no. You'll ruin your knives on the very first pass.

This is the reason I bought the Festool track system. Edges up to 10 ft long, dead straight, with an edge as clean (or cleaner) than my PM2000. Of course with any straight reference and the right saw blade and a good circ. saw, you can accomplish the same...

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Looks like I'll save the knives on the jointer thanks to you.

I use two methods to clean up plywood edges (besides having a Festool track saw).

Method #1 is the router. Either the table or a straight edge w/a bearing bit.

Method #2 is the table saw. If you google - edge jointing table saw - one of the hits you'll get will be for a jig that buries the blade into a recess from Woodworking tips (dot) com.
    I whipped mine together in a few min from some scrap particle board. I need to make another one since I stepped on the one I had and broke it....

router or jointer

I have used a jointer on a few pieces like this. Didnt notice a severe degradation on the knife sharpness (take light cuts!)

Also I have used a router table and a straight bit - remember to put a fence shim on the output with thickness equal to the depth of cut.

Also I have used a hand router, with a bearing on the bit that rides against a straight edge (that I did true on the jointer). This may be the easiest method (if you dont want to joint directly)

I have also used them right off a good, true cut from the table saw. Not as clean as if jointed, but very good just the same (its about having a sharp blade and being able to guide the sheet in smooth and straight). This is the fastest.

I like the suggestion of jointing with a table saw blade which is offset buried into a fence. Again though, remember to shim the output to the depth of cut. (on the other hand - how would this be different than just taking a light cut reducing the overall width, using the standard fence setup??) ok - I gotta learn more, Im not getting it.

Blog Entries
    +1 on - tablesaw (with a proper blade) = yes, jointer = no.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-20-2011 at 9:06 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use the table saw method that you describe. Usually works fine since most factory edges are pretty good in my neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Now if you can't spare a couple of inches of blade, its a definite no-no. You'll ruin your knives on the very first pass.
    That's really interesting. I had no idea.

Is it the glue that they use in making plywood, or ... the constantly alternating grain, or ... both, or ... something else ??

I do pretty much exactly what you do, make rip with factory edge against fence and rotate. Kinda a pain but it is quick enough and effective.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    That's really interesting. I had no idea.

Is it the glue that they use in making plywood, or ... the constantly alternating grain, or ... both, or ... something else ??
    I definitely see small nicks that coincide with the glue lines. I also see this happen when I joint an epoxied glue up.

I've used my jointer for years and it does dull the blades slightly after awhile, but the edges are far superior to what comes off the table saw, at least IMO. I've even used my jointer with melamine coated particle board, which is far worse than plywood, but even that is not really that bad on the blades. I made a whole kitchen full of cabinets before I had to resharpen the blades, which are just high speed steel. If you are comfortable removing, sharpening, and reinstalling your jointer's blades, I wouldn't hestitate to use it with plywood.