Thread: Manual Staple Gun Reccomendations

Manual Staple Gun Reccomendations

I bought a powershot manual staple gun from HD about 2 yrs ago and used it maybe 10 times. It now misfires 3 out of 4 times so I threw it in the trash. I looked on amazon and there are no great staple guns, just a bunch of staple guns which people have reports of misfiring and breaking. So does anyone have any recommendations on a good manual staple gun? Thanks

William

If your asking about the kind you put insulation , etc. in with...Arrow was, and still is the industry standard. I've got a couple of slappers, and a few old press to shoot staplers, that have given me no trouble over the 15 + years I've owned them. And the slappers were used hard!
    HTH
    Mick

I'm with Mickey, my Arrow has always worked.

One proviso - if you're stapling overhead, it's near impossible to keep the hammer down.
    For that I recommend the "hammer tacker" design, if you have room to swing it.

My Arrow T50 is pushing 45 years old. It still worked 100% of the time last time I used it.

Edit to add - -

Curiosity got the better of me so I went to Amazon to see what the reviews said...

Sad. Arrow used to be the best you could buy & the T50 was the real workhorse.
    Not so anymore I guess.

I'm glad I have one of the old dependable ones.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 06-20-2011 at 6:45 AM.

I blow through Arrows in no time in a commercial application. They are not as good as they were thirty years ago.

Of the hand staplers, Duo-fasts has never broken. Problem is staples are not available everywhere, so I use Arrows as second choice. I like the Bostich slap stapler better than the Arrow ergonomically, but it breaks at about the same rate

If you are using Arrow slap staplers a big improvement is to grind a roundover into the forward edge of the part that makes contact with the surface being stapled. You will get a lot less tearing/cutting.

Blog Entries
    I was looking for a stapler earlier in the year.. I ended up buying an electric but from the Amazon reviews I probably would have tried the Surebonder 5650.. good reviews and it uses just about any staples and has a variable pressure dial. Nevertheless.. I've done some upholstery in the past.. and if you use a stapler a lot.. electric or air staplers are sure a big win the next day after squeezing that handle all day.
    It seems to me that staplers start jamming when something gets bent.. I suspect that someone who uses them to fire staples straight in all the time probably has better luck then when placing them at an angle and subjecting the nose to bending torques. If they were built with cast aluminum or similar, they'd probably resist that torque better and stay in alignment longer. We need air gun precision and stiffness in a manual stapler to make it last, but I suspect that's not going to happen. Maybe next best bet is to see if Sears Craftsman has one with a lifetime exchange warranty...

I currently have the pneumatic porter cable crown stapler which uses the thin staples. I have been using the manual one for around the house jobs, nothing major. I was trying to staple landscaping fabric to some 2x8's for a sandbox and it would misfire 3 out of 4 times and it couldn't drive 3/8" staples into the wood. I found a well reviewed surebonder 9600 which takes T50 staples, but the pneumatic is not very portable. Bill, What kind of electric stapler did you get and are you happy with it?

Arrow T-50, as others have said...the industry standard for years!,