Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated dryer circuit will work for 3hp TS?

Dedicated dryer circuit will work for 3hp TS?

Hi - I just received my shiny new Jet 3HP Deluxe Exacta saw, and I would like to do one of two things involving the existing circuit for the clothes dryer... can anyone here tell me if I'm not on the right track? (don't ask me why I feel I might not be...)

Some preliminary info:
    *3 wires coming into the dryer outlet (black/white/bare) from wall.
    *Electrical box on back of saw cabinet has black/white/green. The black and white are screwed to the little terminal, coming from the motor. The green is grounded to the cabinet.

1.) Can I run a 3-wire cable from the saw (black to black on the bus, white to white, screw in the green to the ground screw?), then attach the wire to a plug which fits the dryer outlet (matching colors/lugs with those coming from the wall obviously)? Why would it be that easy?
    2.) I didn't notice an aftermarker plug that was available in the dryer configuration.. Can I add a junction box before the dryer outlet and have two separate outlets (dryer and saw), but following the same logic as #1 above?

Thanks in advance. This is my first post here and I'm sure not my last. Years ago I spent quite a bit of time on Badger Pond before that one closed.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Welcome Jeremy to one of the best sites there is.Yes to first question on color to color wiring.And you should be able to go to the big box store and find a matching plug to your dryer.But,the most important question is "Do you have the correct wire size for your saw and do you have the correct breaker?On the motor you should find a plate that will give the RLA(running load amps) that the saw will demand at that particular voltage Ex.120/240volts Then check this amperage chart and your wire size.Another ex.would be #12 wire is good for 20amps,#10 wire is good for 30amps.http://www.cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=46
    For a dryer you may have #10 or #8 wire,just make sure that the breaker matches the saw.Post some pics,love looking at them and Jeremy if you don't feel comfortable get an electrican.Good Luck----Carroll

As a non electrician I'll provide some limited input. You will probably find posts from the more professional perspective will be added but you never know who's around on any given day. I believe that the dryer is suppose to be on a dedicated outlet/circuit. It sounds that like me you have the dryer right in the shop.

If you are a scofflaw you'll figure "well I'm a rocket scientist so I'll remember not to run the saw and dryer at the same time". In that case perhaps it would be best to run your table saw line out of the dryer outlet box instead of interrupting the dryer line. Pick any 220v set of plug and outlet that works and live happily ever after. That way before you move from the home you can unhook that extra outlet you put in for the saw. You would pass any pre sale home inspection made and the new owner who isn't a rocket scientist would not overload the dryer circuit.

My main panel in is my garage/shop. I have found room for several additional circuits 120 or 220 by buying the little double breakers that sit paired up in place of where a single breaker is now. They are available in the same amperage as the ones you replace. I't easy and relatively inexpensive to make room for new circuits this way and of course you wouldn't have to undo the work later to be legal.

Welcome and best wishes for many fine projects with that new saw,
    Larry R
    Seattle

Yes. The drier circuit is at least 30A. Just as long as the wire you get for the cord is 12ga then you will be all set.

Thanks Carroll, Larry, and Leo! Last night I bought a length of 12 gauge, three braided wire cable, so that should be sufficient. The dryer circuit has a 30 amp breaker, the existing wiring (coming from the wall) is 12 gauge, and since I am a rocket scientist (not really, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), I will give it a go and report back (or.. give it a go, fail, call my electrician buddy... then report back).
    I'll tell a little bit about myself: I'm the Lean Manager at my company (see "Lean Production"/"Toyota Production System"), and a member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers. I just bought a home on the historic registry (ie: old) in a historic district of Ontario, California. Moved from a home where I had a purpose-built shop, with the finish carpentry, roofing, lighting, electric, siding done by yours truly, (but obviously didn't run any 220! haha)... Left tools and comfy shop behind to start over with no tools in a dark, damp, 90 year-old garage that smells musty... I mean "smell like it has character". I look forward to many fun and informative exchanges here.
    Jeremy

You should consult an electrician (some on this board are), I am not but I think you are NOT allowed to have anything else on the dryer circuit, so the answer to your second question I think is no.

It is not a dryer circuit, it is an electrical circuit. The outlet that is installed happens to be in common with a dryer. Floor sanding companies will plug into a stove or dryer circuit to operate their sanders.

Thanks everyone! I ran the cable and everything works perfectly! WWII blade installed, true riving knife... ahhh... Thanks again to all of you - I now have a brand new working table saw and life is good. ...and by the way, while I'm always open to advice from those smarter or more experienced than I, nobody tells me what I'm "not allowed to do". That ended when mommy stopped wiping my chin

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    It is not a dryer circuit, it is an electrical circuit. The outlet that is installed happens to be in common with a dryer. Floor sanding companies will plug into a stove or dryer circuit to operate their sanders.
    It IS a dryer circuit, Leo. It can't have other hard-wired outlets on that breaker. Jeremy's fine with unplugging the dryer and plugging in the saw (or a floor sander), but tapping into the dryer's gang box to hard wire another full-time outlet in the shop is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    It IS a dryer circuit, Leo. It can't have other hard-wired outlets on that breaker. Jeremy's fine with unplugging the dryer and plugging in the saw (or a floor sander), but tapping into the dryer's gang box to hard wire another full-time outlet in the shop is not.
    He didn't say he was going to tap into it, he said he was going to use a cord and plug it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    It is not a dryer circuit, it is an electrical circuit.....
    You said it was not a dryer circuit. I was correcting you, not Jeremy.

An electrical circuit can have outlets added. A dryer circuit can only have the dryer outlet itself. The electrical circuit Jeremy was talking about is a dryer circuit.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    I just did a quick search through code and could not find any requirement prohibiting other outlets on the circuit supplying the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    I just did a quick search through code and could not find any requirement prohibiting other outlets on the circuit supplying the dryer.
    Must be local, then. My apologies to Leo if it's not national. Our inspector required it.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Our inspector required it.
    Unfortunately that doesn't automatically mean it is a local code either. It's not the first time an inspector has made a statement such as that, even if there is no code to support it. They do make mistakes. Contrary to popular belief, not even the inspector is considered the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) when it comes to "creating" rules. State Constitutions specifically prevent this from happening. In order for something to become a local rule (which I don't dispute that it could be) it must go through the proper legal process prescribed by your state.

210.21(B)(2) says if the dryer draws more than 24 amps, you can't add another recep.