Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural Edge Cherry Coffee Table

Geez. You rock, man. Great work, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    So, yes, it is indeed Nakashima (and Maloof) INSPIRED, but I can't say with a straight face that it's in either of their styles.
    This is actually a very good point that we should all take to heart.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    FWIW, I think your table is in the Patel style and I've come to appreciate it when you display pics of your work.
    I couldn't have said it better - this is a table made in the classic Patel style. Something nobody else can do.

Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Braul View Post
    this is a table made in the classic Patel styles
    Absolutely!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Prashun,

That's gorgeous! I love tables with natural edge slabs and am in the process of trying to make my first. If you don't mind, how are the legs attached to the top? Are they mortised directly into the top?

Steve

They are not mortised into the top. I was concerned about seasonal movement. I used figure 8 fasteners and screws.
    I'm doing a similar bench now and have fastened the legs with dowels to the top. However, the bench slab is narrower, and I just figured (for better or worse) the risk of destructive movement wasn't that great... We'll see!

They are not mortised into the top. I was concerned about seasonal movement. I used figure 8 fasteners and screws.
    I'm doing a similar bench now and have fastened the legs with dowels to the top. However, the bench slab is narrower, and I just figured (for better or worse) the risk of destructive movement wasn't that great... We'll see!
    Prashun, your work is impeccable, so I ask this next question with no intended disrespect (especially since we're both in NJ), but isn't it somewhat sacrilegious to use any metal on a table like that? I admit that I don't know enough to understand all the options, but having been wracking my brain for months about how I was going to construct and connect a base to my slab top. I never even considered wood movement as a potential problem, so there goes that idea. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks,

Steve

I've never felt guilty about using these for the top. To each his own. I did it for a specific reason, not as a shortcut, so it doesn't bother me.

Also, I have in the back of my mind the idea to switch out the top if I ever find a nice slab in the right size. This one didn't turn out quite as I wished. This way I can keep the base, which I am pleased with.

I've never felt guilty about using these for the top. To each his own. I did it for a specific reason, not as a shortcut, so it doesn't bother me.

Also, I have in the back of my mind the idea to switch out the top if I ever find a nice slab in the right size. This one didn't turn out quite as I wished. This way I can keep the base, which I am pleased with.
    Thanks. That makes sense - even for moving the table in the future. Wasn't trying to make you feel guilty at all! Unless it's guilt about how much more skilled you are than I will ever be.

Out of curiosity, do you buy slabs from Willard Brothers or do you travel for them? For those not in our area, finding reasonably priced lumber is pretty rare in NJ.

Steve

Yes, I bought that slab from Willard Brothers. I find their slabs to be reasonably priced. If yr ever going down to DE or DC, take a side trip to Oxford, PA to Hearne Hardwoods. You wanna see some killer flitches and slabs? They showed me a slab of crotch walnut that was 4" thick and 110" wide. They had to enlarge their bandmill in order to cut it.

If/when you go to Willard Brothers, ask them to show you their 'flitch' warehouse out in the back. That's where they have a bunch of flitched out logs and really big stuff. They also have some other furniture that's in storage because they don't have enough showroom space.

I love going to WB's not only for the selection of wood, but because the furniture there is inspiring. It's about as close to the real essence of Nakashima's work as you'll get, since his grandson is (one of?) the furniture makers there. On some days he's actually there...

I also like the fact that a lot of the wood is from the area, so it has some personal relevance...

Prashun - excellent work and creativity on this table. Beautiful. . Have you researched the Nakashima method for attaching the top?

Really nice work.The top looks great kinda reminds me of a porter house steak.And i sure do like steak.Great work Prashun

Thanks all. Pat, no I haven't done much research on Nakashima's construction methods. How's he do it?
    Andrew: my mom's a Hindu and a vegetarian. I'll hijack your reference, if you don't mind. Gives their table a sense of irony now!

Feel free to use the reference.Later in the evening i was thing about my comment i said to my self i bet he is a vegetarian.I sure don't want to offend anyone.Or your craftsmanship i made a chair once that looked like a giraffe from the side.So i think maybe we get blessed when something comes out unexpected.Ill shut up now bye.

Great work and an excellent result...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler