Thread: Making a veneered serving tray

Making a veneered serving tray

I'm in the process of writing up a tutorial on how to make a veneered serving tray. I have it completed, except for the making of the sides, which I'll add soon.

If you have time, please take a look and let me know if there's parts of the tutorial that are hard to follow or understand.

Once I finish the part for the making of the sides, I'll make an additional post here to let you know.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi Mike,

Great tutorial! I found it easy to follow and understand. Perhaps adding a pic showing the veneer cutting with a veneer saw might be helpful.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the tutorial. Good job!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stoops View Post
    Hi Mike,

Great tutorial! I found it easy to follow and understand. Perhaps adding a pic showing the veneer cutting with a veneer saw might be helpful.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the tutorial. Good job!

Paul
    Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that it's hard for me to take a picture of myself doing some action. I do both the work and the pictures.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Perhaps you could get your "apprentice", Judy, to take the shot for you........I've heard that some apprentices will work for lower wages.........but then it might really cost you................. :-)

Mike very nice tutorial on veneering. I look forward to the rest of the project on making the sides for the tray. I have viewed some of your other tutorials and they are all top notch.
    I know it’s a lot of work in making one of these documentaries of a project and do appreciate all your effort in presenting then to the Creek.

Thanks again!
    Richard
    Last edited by richard poitras; 06-20-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I finally finished the rest of the tutorial, which consists mostly of how to make the sides of the tray. You can pick up the tutorial here, which is first new page, or go back to the beginning by clicking here.

Mike

Very nice tutorial Mike! It's easy to follow for a veneering newb like me. I've always been intimidated by all the taping veneering entails (and figuring there's no way in heck I can edge glue veneer cleanly) but I'm going to give this a try really soon. Got a ton of ribbon mahogany veneer sitting unused...

Mike in looking at some of your works and projects some of the trays have decretive banding on them. Did you make your own or did you buy the more elaborate banding?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Mike in looking at some of your works and projects some of the trays have decorative banding on them. Did you make your own or did you buy the more elaborate banding?

Thanks Richard
    Some of them have commercial banding on them. In fact, any banding that's complex is probably commercial. Any banding I make is probably simple.

Mike

Mike, very nice, I've been wanting to try some veneering, this tutorial gives me the confidence to give it try.
    Thanks
    John