Thread: Need help deciding: Milwaukee 5625-20 Vs. Hitachi M12V

Question Need help deciding: Milwaukee 5625-20 Vs. Hitachi M12V

I've just start the process of upgrading my "try it out and see if I like it tools" to more serious hobbyist/small professional tools. Right in the middle of this process, out of the blue I've gotten a "commission" to build some display cases for gun and knife shows.

I've seen many posts on here where those who've "been there" bought the tools they needed for each job as they went along, so I've decided to follow their philosophy. The tools I'll need aren't tools I had planned to buy at the present.

To do the job "right" I feel I should use lock-mitered corners in the display "base" and then assemble the lid (the part with the plexiglass) using pocket screws so it can be taken apart to replace the plexiglass if it gets broke in the future.

My problem is I don't own a large enough router to swing the heavier bits, hence the need for a large router and router table. I've decided to get the cast iron table offered by MLCS, the simpler version.

I've narrowed the router slection to either a Hitachi 12V or a Milwaukee 5625-20. The Hitachi is cheaper and I can buy it along with a palm sander (something I could use a couple more of) for $159.99 at amazon right now. The Milwaukee, on the other hand, while more expensive, seems to be specifically designed for table use and has a real nice above the table adjustment.

Can anyone who has owned or owns both router tell me what I don't know I need to know to make a smart decision about these? I'm buying this for a job and I'd rather not screw up the choice, as it's suddenly not a "hobby" situation.

BTW, I'm looking at the initial job as a way to pay for both the router and table, with a bit left over after buying materials. I figure I'd be smarter to put any money I make back into the shop rather than spend it frivilously, as I don't need it to pay any bills.

Thank you for your assistance,

Dave
    Last edited by David Dixson; 02-12-2005 at 1:15 AM.
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA

Dave:

If money isn't an issue, I'd get the Milwaukee in a heartbeat. I have both the 12V and the 5625. The 5624 is quieter, is easier to change bits, and barely breaks a sweat with big bits. Maybe because I bought my 12V used, the Hitachi seemed to strain when handling big bits. Also, the 5625 is designed for table use. To use the Hitachi in a table, most woodworkers do some minor surgery to disengage the "plunge" feature and also need to cut away the "ears" to handle larger bits.

Go Big Red - I love mine
    Dan McLaughlin

I have the M12V and have never thought about needing to upgrade. No experience with the other unit. I often here that the big PC is the one to measure all others by.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I have the M12V and it has done a good but not great job over the last year or so. I bought it because of the great price. I have it permanently mounted in my table and it is acceptable for that role. The motor is plenty strong.

However, if you are more interested in quality rather than just a good, strong motor surrouned by, IMHO, a mediocre router, go with the Milwaukee.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I've been in the same boat for a while trying to decide which of the big 3 to ge (Mil, Hitach, or PC). I have to say that the Milwaukee has very nice fit and finish. I have to go lay hands on the hitachi but if you aren't too concerned about the extra money Milwaukee is a nice feeling machine.

Look at the big Porter Cable before you make your final decision.

If money isn't the deciding factor, go with the Milwaukee . It is a more modern design made specifically for the table. It doesn't have any of the quirks of the Hitachi, i.e. it comes with a 1/4 and 1/2 collet and the opening in the base doesn't have to be modified to run large bits. I haven't heard of bits slipping in the collet either like I have with the Hitachi. Add to it the fact that its not a plunge router and you can adjust the height of the bit from the top of the table. Makes it a lot easier to use.
    Dennis

Go with the BIG Milwaukee. The handles are removeble & it fits in any table/plate that you can put the large PC 7518 in (the hole pattern is the same). I don't use the above the table adjustment as that requires an extra hole in the table/plate which interferes with reducer rings if your palte is so equiped.
    I had the little Milwaukee in the table for a year and never used the thru the table adjustment.
    I find that's it's easier to adjust it from below as I'm already at eyeball level setting the height anyway, & you have to reach under the table to lock the clamp anyway.
    Make a story stick, then cut it. It's easier than doing all the math!

Wow,

Almost everyone liked the milwaukee the best. I think in this case I'm going to "cry once" and then enjoy my router for years to come.

Thank you,

Dave
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA