Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Plow Plane...Opinions?

Veritas Plow Plane...Opinions?

So, going to a mostly hand tool shop since I have a kid and dogs (makes it easier to have them in the room while I work). Plus I build for my own pleasure and enjoyment. So, I was looking at the Veritas Plow Plane thinking I could use it for routing the grooves in drawers for the bottoms and other little projects. Has anyone used this and if so, what are your thoughts? I dont want to mess around with an old one and would rather just drop the coin and get a new one. Was going to hold out and see if LN ever came out with one but I could be waiting the rest of my life on that

So thoughts anyone?

Hi Frank

Veritas who? Never heard of them.

Try this comparison with the #044 and #043 ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...w%20Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Never used it, but have heard nothing but great things about it. The only reason I've held off on buying one is that rumor has it that Lee Valley will release their Large Plow Plane withing the next year, and I want to see what they come up with before buying the small.

Thats a good comparison article. I read the Christopher Schwartz one and he was a fan also. Thanks!

Chris. Did you hear any specifics on sizes or is that large one still speculation? I hate waiting but if there is news out there and its a great improvement due to the size, I may just have to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Frank

Veritas who? Never heard of them.

Try this comparison with the #044 and #043 ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...w%20Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have it, and had a stanley 50. It is a fabulous little plane. I don't like the holding mechanism that some of the 50s have (side pressure on the iron), they slip and pull themselves deeper in the cut, especially narrow ones, but they can be had cheaply so you can live if you have to.

I would probably be satisfied with the record plow planes if I could've found one timely when I got mine (I couldn't at the time, but I've seen them lots of times since). They retain the iron with a sort of lever cap function instead of a side grip.

I have no complaints at all about the LV plow, though. It is a safe bet for a tool that works exactly the way you expect it to.

A while back I asked Rob Lee about it in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1487333

He said " It's in active development now...which puts it at least 10 months out. It will be more than a plow though...we intend for it to do molding as well..."

That was back in August 2010, almost a year ago..., so I imagine it's coming out this year, but don't know anything else about it.

Actually, even if it comes out soon, my guess is that I'd prefer the small plow for most grooving tasks. Sounds like the Large will be a multi-tool, and I prefer simplicity. Still kind of want to wait and see what they came up with though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    A while back I asked Rob Lee about it in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1487333

He said " It's in active development now...which puts it at least 10 months out. It will be more than a plow though...we intend for it to do molding as well..."

That was back in August 2010, almost a year ago..., so I imagine it's coming out this year, but don't know anything else about it.
    Hi -

Yup that info's still correct.... it's at least 10 months out....! Had a few other projects push ahead, while the large plow slid a bit. This isn't uncommon, as something with the complexity of the large plow takes a long time to completely develop.

There is an as of yet unannounced (and even "unteased") conversion kit coming for the small plow.... this will enable it to use blades up to 3/4" wide (6 new sizes, from 7/16 to 3/4" by 16ths...

Cheers -

Rob

Is that your unofficial announcement Rob? Kidding. Ok, again, that quick I am sold on the small plane then look forward to hearing of that conversion kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

Yup that info's still correct.... it's at least 10 months out....! Had a few other projects push ahead, while the large plow slid a bit. This isn't uncommon, as something with the complexity of the large plow takes a long time to completely develop.

There is an as of yet unannounced (and even "unteased") conversion kit coming for the small plow.... this will enable it to use blades up to 3/4" wide (6 new sizes, from 7/16 to 3/4" by 16ths...

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

Cheers -

Rob
    LOL. Gotta love it when Rob chimes in. As if I we really needed further convincing . Looks like the table saw could end up on craigslist someday soon to make funds for the small plow and the eventual conversion kit.

I have the Veritas small plow and a vintage wooden plow. There is a lot to be said for the Veritas plow.

1. The Veritas irons are ready (with minor honing). The vintage plow irons were far from ready.

2. The collet/fence arrangement on the Veritas is simple to set correctly. My vintage plow is fussy to set.
    A wiggle here, a wiggle there, start again...
    AKA - "The human termite"

Have one, use it on every project that uses grooves. Love it, I got the extra blades, but find I use the 1/4" about 95% of the time.
    joecrafted

I had one, and loved it, I have bad hands, so I had to return it, as it hurt me to use it. I still miss that plane, was a seriously handy tool.
    Paul

Fantastic plane. I have and use a Stanley 45, but I'm glad I also have the Veritas - it's quick to set up and comfortable to use. Some folks don't like the tote, but I've never found it a problem.

I have, and love, the small plow. I've been using it, along with the LV fillister to make moldings for a clock case I'm working on. My favorite qualities of these planes are the fences, which are easy to adjust and lock. I'm eagerly awaiting the large plow and am glad to hear it is still in the works.