Thread: Toy Wooden Tools?

Toy Wooden Tools?

Hello all,

It's getting closer and closer to some up coming birthdays for little ones and I'd like to make them some toy tools and hardware (nuts and bolts, nails, etc).

Does anyone know have a link or direction for plans on how to make them? My googling just turns up piles of Melissa and Doug stuff. Certainly very close to what I want, but I'd prefer to make it myself.

Thanks!

I'm having a problem finding a reference to the issue online, but seems like Wood Magazine had some plans and an article. let me looks at my online issues...

May 2009

toolset.JPG
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 06-21-2011 at 2:00 PM.

I did not understand the question.....

You want to build nails and bolts?

I purchased some things that my 5 year old daughter can help me build from Lowes. Lowes also has a children's tool set. I did not purchase the tool set. I did, however, purchase a small hammer to practice hammering nails. Have used my Lie Nielsen Dovetail saw and my fret / coping saw.

Able to use a regular screw driver and help with glue-ups. Also able to help apply some finishes.

Yes, I want to build nuts, bolts, and nails...out of wood. My end game is something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-W.../dp/B004DNJHW2
    http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-W...8679611&sr=8-3

And so on.

Jerome: That link looks like a great first start....

I hate to be that guy...but what's wrong with real nuts and bolts?
    It's sufficiently stout..

Potential choking hazard. If I make them from wood, I can make them safer (bigger) for 2-3 year olds.

But the nuts and bolts aren't really the problem. I can just buy a thread box and tap from Woodcraft/Highland/etc. I'm more looking for plans on the tools themselves and maybe other useful info.

I hate to post this pic again, as I've posted it several times and I'm not even happy with what I did...but here's a pic of some planes I made for my boy. I approached making them as kind of a prototype just to see if it was worth my time before making really nice ones out of beech. I haven't gotten around to making the nice ones yet as I have yet to find any beech!!...

He's three, but even at that age I think he got a little bored with not accomplishing anything. I wrapped a little sandpaper around the edge of the "iron" and the wedge keeps it in. That way he at least sees some dust on there. When I made a table for them recently I had him "planing" the top.

I've made lots of little tools for him and his sister, and might build a bench for him too. I'd like to make him a complicated bench that would be a task too daunting for me at it's full scale. My dream would be to make him miniatures of everything I have, but I just don't have the time. That boy LOVES the shaving horse. I think that's a great idea for a kid.

The best advice I would give is to look at all your tools and just start copying them. It's not hard, and if it's not perfect who cares? I do hope to make a really nice full set one day that can be displayed when he outgrows them. Those little miniature planes, mallets and bow saw look so cool.

Speaking of dad life...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZa7hU6tP_s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by john brenton; 06-21-2011 at 3:57 PM.
    It's sufficiently stout..

Try looking on the Lumberjocks forums Matt.