Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you use drywall compound on plywood to fill holes?

Can you use drywall compound on plywood to fill holes?

Hello,

I am in the midst of working on a stand for my new aqaurium that I will be setting up. I have followed an original aquarium stand design but have made it much stronger. Across the back I have used #10 x 3" screws to fasten some of the pieces. These screwholes have been countersunk and now need to be filled before painting.

I am using paint grade maple veneer ply (veneer core) so it will paint up quite nice but I need to fill these holes first and I have alot of Dust Control drywall compound and was thinking of doing a couple of applications over the screw holes before priming and painting instead of buying some sort of wood filler as these are holes that are big enough for the screw heads. Would there be any reason to not use this approach. I could see if the wood was going to do alot of expansion and contarction but since it is a plywood it should be fairly stable I would think??

Your thoughts please....

I'd use something like Elmer's brand "Carpenter's Wood Filler" before I'd use drywall compound. It's cheap, dries fast, doesn't shrink, and sands perfectly.

Only thing I'd see as a problem, is the joint compound is relatively soft and easily dug into. I'd go for Bondo. Dries very fast, and sands very smooth. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

We built a bunch of plywood folding tables at a clothing company years ago. Finished them with drywall mud, sanded and enameled. I heard the tables were shipped to Mexico when the company was a-nafta-tized.
    Mick

light weight spackle works pretty well. be sure to sand more than just the area of the hole. even texture , uniform surface. then it won't flash/hot spot.

I agree with Jim -- I would go with Bondo. I've used wood filler as well (don't think it was Elmer's, maybe Minwax?) and it was essentially the same as Bondo -- same consistency, same methodology (paste with hardener) and the same smell.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    I agree with Jim -- I would go with Bondo. I've used wood filler as well (don't think it was Elmer's, maybe Minwax?) and it was essentially the same as Bondo -- same consistency, same methodology (paste with hardener) and the same smell.
    I think the major difference is that you can get Bondo at your auto store, in larger quantities (if needed) and for a whole lot less money....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Vinyl spackling compound is a non-shrinking filler that sands smooth for a very nice finish. Cheaper than bondo, and does not have to be mixed. Make sure it is "vinyl" instead of regular spackling compound. "Regular" is about the same as drywall mud--dries soft and porous.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I'd tend to agree with the bondo suggestions. I think drywall mud would be a poor choice for your application.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Drywall mud ... especially the pre-mixed variety will shrink enough upon drying that it will probable require a second (at least) application to fill the voids. If you use the type that you mix with water just prior to use, it shrinks very little. Either can be used for your application as long as you know what to expect.

That said, I would prefer to use some DURHAM'S ROCK HARD WATER PUTTY ... a great alternative for your application. Dries fast .. dries very hard .. very little shrinkage .. bonds well .. relatively inexpensive.

+1 on DURHAM's ROCK HARD WATER PUTTY. I recently laid new vinyl floors, my friend who helped me used this to fill all the seams in the underlayment. I might add he has been laying floors for over 30 years and swears by it. Be sure to show us your final build.
    Dan

+1 for Bondo. It fills well, sands well, doesn't shrink, dries hard, is water proof, and it's cheap.

You can use durabond or easysand to fill holes works great and is cheaper than bondo

I have used drywall joint compound over plywood

I have done just what you are proposing Kevin. In addition, I very lightly skimmed the entire plywood surface to make it smooth (it was a rough grade plywood), and then sanded and painted. (WHY I did this is another question, but I did).

It is on a piece that has been sitting in my house for 6 years now and no issues. I will note that it takes very light use.

Having said that, I wouldnt do it again (and didnt think it was such a good idea the first time but I did it anyway). My concern was that the drywall compound never really 'sticks' to the plywood. So it comes up easily, or pops off at the screw heads. I was concerned about this happening even after painting.

Plaster would be much better (chemical set, not evaporative setup). I would choose automotive filler over the drywall compound.

I think your question was trying to decide to use what you have, or go out and purchase something else for the job. If its a piece you want to last a long time, I would not use the drywall compound. (for something you might have on hand, even something like liquid nails could be put over the screws carefully and then sanded smooth after setting up)

I think I've used every one of the fillers suggested already, plus other concoctions. I keep going back to the Bondo type fillers or the Durhams Rock Hard for surfaces to be painted. Of course, if it's to be stained, I wouldn't buy that sheet in the first place.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH