Thread: Building a display case for my third project.

Building a display case for my third project.

for my third woodworking project i'm building a dislpay case for an old colt revolver similar to this:

my plan so far is similar to this box, but mine has to be hinged with a mortised lock. the base will be more square. rather than the mitered frame i was thinking of four columns with slightly smaller cross members. and a routed slot for the glass. (how are these miters joined by the way...just glue?)
    it will be walnut with ebonized finish.

couple things i am trying to figure out....
    i was thinking of holding the frame together with dowels. what do you folks think? should it be tenons? joining three pieces seems kind of overwhelming for one of my first projects so i was thinking dowels would be the easiest way to go.

the other thing i'm wondering about is the routed slots for the frame. i've done this before for some display cases and it was pretty difficult since i had to install glass prior to glue up...but i used an oil finish...so just masked the glass and rubbed. however with this i would have to ebonize each piece before joining, as there's no way to do that with 5 sheets of glass installed.
    is there any alternative that might look clean. i was thinking of welding an acrylic box and using rabbits...but the slots would look so much nicer...especially since you can see through the box.

appreciate any advice i can get.
    Last edited by Andy Maldoror; 06-21-2011 at 11:52 PM.

any advice?

Buy some inexpensive wood or free wood.Build a mock up.Thats what i do sometime.Good luck seems like a fun project.