Thread: laminte countertop question

laminte countertop question

I want to install a post-formed laminate countertop on the bath vanity I recently installed. The top is captive on 3 sides - drywall on 1 side, drywall back wall, cabinet on the other side. I'm planning on ordering it thru box store.

My questions are about how to measure/order/fit it. The space is pretty darn even and square, and I assume I will still have to order/install side panels. The space is 60" wide.

Should I order it oversize, then cut it down ?

How do I scribe and cut this thing (noting that it has a preformed backsplash on it).

Thanks.

Although I have not worked with post form tops in quite awhile, there is a small overhang behind the back splash that will allow you to make minor adjustments. The key in ordering the length is to know if the two side walls are square to the top. If they are square, the length is easy. If the walls are out of square outboard (dimmensions in the front are wider than the back, them order it to the larger dimmension and trim it to fit (as you will be able to slide it in place). If the out of square is inboard (dimmensions in the rear are wider than the front), then I would order it to the smaller dimmension and when you install the side slpashes, it will cover the gap. In all cases, give yourself at least 1/8" to make it a bit easier to install.

I had a friend get some help with this at Menards. They had really good prices and were helpful. The price was so low that another BORG couldn't even match/beat their price.

Menards is where I'm planning on buying it.

Doug thanks. - when you say trim to fit. What is the best way to trim it ? (given the attached backsplash makes it awkward).

I am by no means an expert but have helped a friend build a few countertops. We would rough size the lam on the table saw and contact cement it to the particle board. Trimming from there was with a trim router with a flush trim bit installed. The backsplash was mounted after the countertop was installed and sealed with silicone.

If you have an opening with 2 walls that are truly square to the opening, you are very lucky indeed. That scenario is very very rare these days.

For this type of job it depends on the skill level of the installer, as well as the expectations of the owner. If your using postform you'll have to do some cutting/sanding to get the side splashes to fit the back radius of the counter at the backsplashe. Not to mention you have no scribe in the back since the backsplash is integral. Much more difficult to cut on site because of the integral backsplash, though it can be done carefully. And then once you do have it done it may or may not look all that great because you have side splashes formed into the top. Of course you could avoid the sidesplashes and just caulk the sides....but I'm not a huge fan of that look either.

For these reasons I usually try to avoid postform myself. If you decide to go ahead you'll probably have to make up a full template with some 1/4" scrap stock and then transfer this to your top. Then make you cuts using whatever tool you have that will do the job well. For a fairly straight cut a Festool type of tracksaw working from the bottom of the top would work well. If there's a bit of a curve, (far more likely), a jigsaw (also from the bottom of the top) would work well.

good luck,
    JeffD

Order to size. If you're going to use side splashes (to cover the junction of top-to-sides), order them at the same time to get a righteous color and profile match.
    Interference at either end of the top and wall/cabinet can be finessed with a belt sander. Same with a fitting the top lip of the backsplash to the back wall. Just be careful to tip the sander so laminate is proud and the substrate is back-cut. Caution: belt sander can remove a lot quickly, the more so if you hold it in one spot. DAMHIKT.

BobV
    Last edited by Bob Vallaster; 06-23-2011 at 8:01 PM. Reason: insert missing words

Many counter fabricators can make a side splash that is scribed to fit over and around the post formed counter top. Since the side splash is 3/4 inch thick, there can be a gap between the counter top and the side wall which the side splash will cover. I attached the side splash in my bathroom with construction adheasive, and it has been OK for over 10 years. My counter top was from Lowe's.
    DSCN0940.jpg