Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuxedo (Matching Tie and Handkerchief)

1. Just came in from lunch and had a thought about this series that David D. has done over the last few months..........would it be possible for either David or the mods to put together a post with all the pics of this series side by side, to show both the colorations, adaptations of the form, and the progression of the series..........

I just think that would be a really cool and informative display that would be very interesting...........and David, if you did it, you might add a narrative that explained the differences, and what your thinking was as you were producing each piece in the series..........

I suppose it would take you a bit of time to do it, but a series of pics and narrative might add up to a tutorial par 'excellence!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Barker View Post
    Wow! Speechless & in awe!

(Ya gotta believe this is going to end up on a magazine cover...)

Best,

ktb
    Your right Kurt, this should be a cover piece!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I love the color and shape. Great job David

Slammed today. But just a sec to say thanx to all for the comments...
    David DeCristoforo

Another great one, and it is nice to see you post a piece that you are happy with after you finish it! It has been a little upsetting to see all of your beautiful parfaits and to know they did not meet your standards. Feel free to send any of the "practice pieces" to me.

Wowzer...

Can't believe I almost missed this one...geez DD...you really outdid yourself. Glad to hear the parts about "YOU" liking and being satisfied with your technique and execution of the piece. I think enjoy clearing those hurdles and the "I Get It" as much or more sometimes than the end result of the work. Superbly done...as has been the norm for you.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    as a turned object, this is the best I've done so far.
    How can I argue? stunning.

Thanx again to everyone for the comments. I did not mean to "toot my own horn" about being happy with this. It's just that I was very pleased to get all the way through it without bunging something up! I do think the transition between the bulb and the pedestal needs work. I am finding that this is the hardest part of these forms to get "right". It's a small detail but one that can make or break the piece. I'm hoping to get time today to take another whack at it.
    David DeCristoforo

DD,
    I've looked at and admired each piece in this group and liked them all, even the ones you didn't like so much. This one is hands down my favorite, so far. I am confident it will remain so until the next one. Don't get tired of this particular silhouette just yet. My sense tell me there is a bit more exploring for you to do before you begin a new series.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    ....I do think the transition between the bulb and the pedestal needs work. I am finding that this is the hardest part of these forms to get "right". ....
    I took your picture and blew it up big in photoshop and analyzed the curve in the body, then the curve in the transition piece. You know how much they differ? Like less than 1/32. So, yes...the curves are slightly off. It sure ain't much though.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

David, I did not hear any "tooting" in your original post, and I hope you didn't take my reply to suggest that you were tooting. Your pieces have all been great, and I am glad this one did not disappoint you when finished as you said the previous ones did. BTW, feel free to toot your own horn on any and all of these if you want; they deserve it!

David, what a beautiful piece of art! I'm glad you are 'tooting' your horn a little. I'm glad that you're finally happy with one of these exquisite turnings.

David I say after you KILLED that piece.... TOOT AWAY. That thing rocks. I like the drastic color difference it adds a lot to the piece. Thanks for showing and keep up the awesome work.

Toot toot... Just one more little thing...

I know... I'm getting obsessive. But I'm afraid I've always been obsessive! The little transition piece has been bugging the crap out of me. It is, without a doubt, the hardest detail on these things to "get right".

tuxedo_7.jpg old_new.jpg

I really like the line to flow from the bulb into the base. But I don't really want it to be an unbroken line that looks like it was masked off and painted. So there has to be the slightest hint of a bevel and a tiny bit of flare right at the point where the two pieces meet. This is the fourth attempt and as close as I think I'm going to get.

I really wanted to thank everyone for all of the kind words. My ego is all puffed up now!
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 06-24-2011 at 8:56 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

That is exactly what I did in photoshop today. Woo Hoo!!! You da man!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson