Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A large jointer plane I made

Try as I might I don't think mine will be the same. But I am going to try to emulate the master. It will give me someting to do while I wait for my O1 drill rod to come so I can make some rope knurls!
    The Plane Anarchist

Blow up the direct sideways shot I provided for that purpose. Make the oval large enough for your hand,and be very careful about sawing it out and sculpting it accurately.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-24-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Forgot to mention: The blade is 3" wide,and 3/16" thick 01. It is polished,but I need to touch it up a little. Tiny brown pinpricks are beginning to appear.

Blog Entries
    George,

Thanks for sharing your work.

It is inspirational.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

George,

Can you tell us how you made that stamp?
    It's sufficiently stout..

If you mean the ribbon,I just carved it in a little over 1/32"+ deep. It just looks stamped. I could make the stamp,of course,but haven't a lot of use for a big one like that,and it would be VERY HARD to drive a big stamp like that into the wood. Then,I punched my name in with individual letters with serifs. I don't have a name stamp with my name in a curve (actually,I DO now,if I ground away the rest of the information,now outdated,that is on the stamp. (it says my name,and Jon Laubach's name,and makers in Wmsbg. Va on it. From the Toolmaker's shop years. Maybe I should do that.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Forgot to mention: The blade is 3" wide,and 3/16" thick 01. It is polished,but I need to touch it up a little. Tiny brown pinpricks are beginning to appear.
    3" wide blade and a 29" long oil-soaked 3.75" square body... you'd better be in shape to push that through white oak!

I am pretty big. WAS 6'5",now lost 2" from discs compressing. I did regularly dress the birch top of the book binder's plough plane press with it. Thin shavings!! You have to start the plane off with a sudden,very fast shove,keep it up,and it would carry on across. Not a plane for girly men!! Ach nein!!

Quote Originally Posted by Archie England View Post
    would that be a "frigate" class or a DDE class vessel?

Simply massive! And, quite nice looking!
    I would call it dreadnought, because that thing dreads nought!

I look forward to the day when I find something with a GW, Maker stamp in the wild at some antique store. I'll plunk down my cash and make a rapid escape!
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

All very kind words. Glad that all of you enjoy the pictures. As relatively few tools as I have made,compared to big makers like Disston,etc., a flea market find will be rare! Someone DID find a dovetail saw in one several years ago!!

Thanks for sharing this. I enjoy your posts and it amazes me the quality of the tools you have shown here. Being almost a foot shorter than you I might have some issues pushing this guy around but it is still a work of art ....Thanks again, John

Awesome! Beautiful work as always.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Ok, now that I look at it it is clearly carved in. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    If you mean the ribbon,I just carved it in a little over 1/32"+ deep. It just looks stamped. I could make the stamp,of course,but haven't a lot of use for a big one like that,and it would be VERY HARD to drive a big stamp like that into the wood. Then,I punched my name in with individual letters with serifs. I don't have a name stamp with my name in a curve (actually,I DO now,if I ground away the rest of the information,now outdated,that is on the stamp. (it says my name,and Jon Laubach's name,and makers in Wmsbg. Va on it. From the Toolmaker's shop years. Maybe I should do that.
    It's sufficiently stout..

Matthew,here is another plane handle,showing a good form for the front of the handle also.

George,

That's a great looking plane. Really nice work on the tote there, and the diamond strike is very attractive.

Thanks for sharing once again.

Joe