Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your three corner files??

MSC order arrived last night. Pack of 12 described on the page and in the order. I received one file and it's going back.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I ordered 2 packs of 12 files from Hugo's. I received 2 files today..... Sent them an email. I'll give them a chance to respond before I go to Amazon.

I mainly refurbish vintage saws and I'm tough on files and go through a few. If you can get NOS files like Nicholson, Simonds, Heller, Black Diamond etc. they were good files. The new Nicholsons aren't worth the steel they're made of.

I've tried the Swiss made Grobets and wasn't happy with them. They were just too brittle and the apex was easily lost. Maybe I just got a few bad boxes of files but I didn't want to try any more at the price I paid for them. That was back when b2bproffesionaltools handled the Swiss made american pattern. If you're just touching up a cutting edge these would be fine.

I buy the Bahcos by the box and prefer these over any other I've tried. They are made in Portugal but they are a good hard/tough file, as good as the NOS in my book. I believe Sandvik still provides the blank Swedish steel for the files. I've had one edge last for more than one saw repeatedly and that's reshaping and sharpening on either rips and crosscuts. Alf agreed with when I made this statement on another forum, she said they were like the energizer bunny, they just kept going and going.

I recently bought 4 boxes of the Grobet U.S.A India made files. These were the 4" xx-slim and the 5" xx-slim only because I couldn't get them from Bahco anymore. We'll see how they compare when I get a chance to use them.

Take care,
    Daryl

I also got a single file from hugos instead of 6 or 12 or whatever the order quantity was.

I will probably just leave them negative feedback. I'm not going to screw around for an hour packing something, taking it back to the post office, and talking to them to resolve something cheap they should've gotten right.

If it was something larger, I'd give them the chance, but if I send it back, i'm out an hour of my time and nobody knows that they screwed up.

I buy my files from a local machine tooling supplier. I buy them by the dozen and I've really given up on Nicholson. I far prefer Grobert. I don't look for amazing deals, I look for good files. Trying to sharpen my good handsaws with cheap or inferior files is not worth it and certainly won't amount to any savings in the long run.

As I mentioned,IF I had to in the future,and couldn't get decently hard files any more,I'd pack them in charcoal and case harden them in my electric furnace,then draw then slightly to add a little toughness.This would only work if the import files at least had decently formed teeth.

All of the brand name files do have decently formed teeth (nicholsons included), they're just not as good as they were on the old nicholsons. On the simonds I have, they seem to be equivalent, and I have had Grobet usa files, I think, and they were also OK.

The ones that have really given me fits are the ones that machine tool supply shops sell as "high quality house brand file, sharp and just as good as brand name files!!".

I ordered 3 of those from a place that I got simonds files from last year, and they were too dull to cut brand new. They looked OK at a cursory glance (better than the chinese files that come out of harbor freight), but they were just horrible.

Ironically, Unbeatable Sales canceled my order for 6 file handles for $2.97, but I received a dozen 6" slim files from them last night.

If I look for the logic in this whole thing, I'm going to hurt myself.

And, MSC being the class act that they are, apologized for the inconvenience, immediately refunded my money and told me to keep the file for my trouble.
    Last edited by Gary Herrmann; 07-01-2011 at 6:15 PM. Reason: add info on MSC
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Daryl Weir
    I mainly refurbish vintage saws and I'm tough on files and go through a few. If you can get NOS files like Nicholson, Simonds, Heller, Black Diamond etc. they were good files. The new Nicholsons aren't worth the steel they're made of.

I've tried the Swiss made Grobets and wasn't happy with them. They were just too brittle and the apex was easily lost. Maybe I just got a few bad boxes of files but I didn't want to try any more at the price I paid for them. That was back when b2bproffesionaltools handled the Swiss made american pattern. If you're just touching up a cutting edge these would be fine.

I buy the Bahcos by the box and prefer these over any other I've tried. They are made in Portugal but they are a good hard/tough file, as good as the NOS in my book. I believe Sandvik still provides the blank Swedish steel for the files. I've had one edge last for more than one saw repeatedly and that's reshaping and sharpening on either rips and crosscuts. Alf agreed with when I made this statement on another forum, she said they were like the energizer bunny, they just kept going and going.

I recently bought 4 boxes of the Grobet U.S.A India made files. These were the 4" xx-slim and the 5" xx-slim only because I couldn't get them from Bahco anymore. We'll see how they compare when I get a chance to use them.

Take care,
    Daryl
    Hey Daryl where can one purchase some of these Bahco files? Did a quick search and just came up with a couple weird sites that really didn't look that reliable.

Hey Tony,

I bought some extra boxes a while back with ideas of offering them to people to try out.

PM me and I can give you some information.

Take care,
    Daryl

I have a chance to buy a box of 12 6" x-slim taper USA made Nicholson files for $36. Does this sound like a reasonable price for these files? And do these USA made Nicholsons out perform most files that I can get now a days?

Yes, that's a useful size to have around. The US made nicholson files are very good files.

Yeah David, I just received my one in the mail from them today as well.
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

My one file came yesterday. Maybe I'll get one a day for 12 days!
    The Plane Anarchist

Just got back from vacation to find that my files had also been damaged in ToolTech's warehouse and the order cancelled. That must be a pretty leaky roof.
    Ron Conlon