Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round and red

Round and red

I started this piece several months ago, and I've been battling it on and off ever since. It's about 10" in diameter... hard maple colored with RIT dye and finished with WOP. I had trouble getting the color to stay on the piece, and I must have put over a dozen coats of WOP on before I got a finish I was satisfied with. None of my existing hollowing gear would allow me to get to the shoulder with the smallish opening, so I had to bend some steel and make my own. I'm glad this piece is finished.

The bottom is just rounded with no flat or concavity... Any suggestions on how to sign something like this? I usually sign the foot, but this thing ain't got no feet.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

Sorry about the last photo... it's the only profile shot I took, so I included it even though it's blurry.
    red-maple-HF-1.jpgdyed-maple-HF-2.jpgred-maple-3.jpgred-maple-HF-4.jpg

That's just an awesome looking piece! My favorite of all you have posted. I really like these "low profile" hollow forms and this is one of the best I've ever seen. If you want to sign it, why not on a sticker of some kind that you could attach to the inside right at the bottom? It would be a shame to disrupt that beautiful rounded surface with anything.
    David DeCristoforo

Awesome job. I have a ways to go to hit that mark. How do you color it w/ the RIT? Is that same RIT for dying clothes? Do you just soak it? I would like to try that w/ some of my Elm and Pecan.

Wow! Beautiful David! Love the form, love the color and the finish is excellent!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

David is right, sure would be a shame to mess up that nice bottom. I would probably display it upside down.

Nice job on that one! I like the color - sort of an oxblood red, rather than arrest me red
    Those lo riders are taxing in the middle, and I have more than 1 attempt at that form. Excellent job - and I guess I'd go with the sticker on the inside, or tape a sharpie onto a popsicle stick to get to the bottom ........

beautiful form beautiful wood way beyond me how you can even hollow that with such a small opening.
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Great piece, David! Excellent work on the hollowing and very nice form. Too late now, but I would have just signed the bottom prior to finishing - where the foot woulda been.

Man I hate it when you're off work....makes me want to hide! That is a great shape and you know I'm fond of dyes...super bueno!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Beautiful piece David. I really like the form and color. Nice job of hollowing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's incredibly beautiful David! I have to agree with Double D, a sticker cleverly placed at the bottom inside of the form would be the perfect touch. (just like a finely crafted string instrument.) Really gorgeous David! Flawless finish too!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I'll ask because I want to know... Does it have a smooth rocking action. One of the things that I am currently fascinated with is the resonance of the wood while hollowing, and of the forms we make. I know it sounds strange, but I would have liked to have heard what it sounded like on the last finishing cuts. (Somethings are best left in my brain.)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

can you write on a self sticking tape & stick it on the inside bottom? I've resorted to that.

Looks good, doctor!!
    David

David,
    That's just beautiful! My favorite profile! Beautiful coloring and great work!