Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dog cremation urn with pictures

A dog cremation urn with pictures

I am a rookie, no....seriously. I made this box for a lady whose dog died. It is about 8"x6"x6"(l by w by h). The body is maple, the top and bottom moldings are cherry and the mitered keys are walnut. I used that Watco Danish Oil finish. Honestly, I made it up as I went along as I was using what I had laying around.

Not wanting it to be something that "yearns" to be opened, I drilled two holes in the top and through the side walls. I then glued the dowels/pegs to the top piece and they obviously go into the side pieces. Therefore it can't slide back and forth and the top can only come off by being lifted up. The dowels fit rather snugly into the holes but the top will lift up without too much effort.

Nothing spectacular, but my first box ever and I truly am a greenhorn compared to what I see on this site.

Enjoy!

David

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...944dfefaeb216b
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

p.s. I am not a pro photographer nor do I play one on tv. The pictures are just from a regular old camera and not being techie, that's the best I could do. My skin has become thicker, so any criticisms are welcome as it will only help me to do a better job the next time.

Nice box and good design. I'm sure she will be very pleased.

Good job !

I'm a big fan of The Box, and I DO loves me a nicely splined miter.

You did both, and you did them both well.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing

I can't even see the pictures, but the very existance of this post makes me want to start incinerating dogs in my neighborhood! Okay, to be honest,this post had nothing to do with that desire...

Very nice box...

I know where and how much for a cremation...but where do you get a pet cremated?

The other question is why?

Most vets will arrange it for you.

Because taxidermy is way to expensive?

Here is the pic for those that can't see it. Nice job BTW.
    cwvDm9asA3Lw9atmAbl5etGTDg.jpg

Wow, """thanks""" for the nice compliments as I am kinda new to this "actually making stuff".

So sorry for anyone who can't see the pictures. I honestly have no clue as to why that would because if I click on the link it works just fine. I just got home and tried it and it brings me to the 5 pictures that I uploaded to Shutterfly. Again, thanks!

The story: She was given a small cardboard box with her dog remains in it and dropped the hint that she wish she had a better box to keep the remains in, so I made a box.

As for the why, I guess that this is what a lot of people who own pets do when their time comes. Honestly, I never asked as I have never had a pet in my entire life except for a goldfish when I was a young lad....presently in my 40's.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    So sorry for anyone who can't see the pictures. I honestly have no clue as to why that would because if I click on the link it works just fine. I just got home and tried it and it brings me to the 5 pictures that I uploaded to Shutterfly. Again, thanks!
    David
    That site is filtered by many corporate firewalls (along with photo bucket and similar sites). Best bet is to upload to SMC. Then the pictures will be visible to anyone who can read the post and will exist as long as the post does.

Nice project. Can I ask how you attached the top & base?

David,

Very nice box. Any pictures with the lid off?

Sorry for taking so long Peter and Dave but I was busy and then when I had a chance to look I couldn't find my thread, not realizing it had been moved.

Here's another photo which I hope explains things a bit better. It's the only one I have with it opened.

Basically I just centered the top on the box and clamped it down. I verified the overhand was identical all the way around.

I then went to my drill press and drilled 2 holes through the top and side carcass of the box.

I then glued 2 dowels in the top part of the box and sanded them flush with the top.

The top rests on the box with the 2 pegs going in the holes in the box.

I thought of a few different ways to attach it, but that was what I felt the best way to do it.

Here's a photo to explain better.

David

p.s. Not that it mattered, but the dowels were Cherry to match the top, even though it's endgrain. Enjoy!

Edit. Working on the picture that didn't show up.
    Last edited by David Cramer; 06-27-2011 at 1:18 PM.