Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a Wee Gloat! (I think)

Just a Wee Gloat! (I think)

For over a year a friend has been telling us there was an old "saw" in his mom's garage that he wanted us to pick up and get out of his way. So this morning we did. Look what we got for FREEEeee! I still have a lot of cleaning and rehab to do, but all in all a pretty good haul. We couldn't fit the mini scroll saw in the truck so that's one for the next trip.

There's also a shop building that's locked. As soon has he finds the key I get whatever is in there, too! Can't wait . .

.Freebies 005.jpgFreebies 004.jpgFreebies 002.jpg

Freebies 003.jpgFreebies 001.jpg

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

That is more than a "pretty good" haul. A lot of work but you have some nice things there....well worth the effort. Congrats!
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

What is this thing in the picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We the People ........"

4. Belinda,

Looks like some restoration work is in your future.............I think these do have some potential..........for a small space the shop smith can be a versatile tool for someone..............good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Paul, you're probably asking the wrong person, but I'll take a stab at it. It is a small plane that swivels. That's my best guess.

Freebies 2 002.jpgFreebies 2 003.jpgFreebies 2 001.jpg

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

I think one of the first things I should do once everything is cleaned up, etc., is find someone to finish the piece Pops was working on and give it to our friend, Big Mike. I'm guessing Pops had Mike in mind when he started it.

Bella Terra

That's quite the gloat Belinda.

Looks like a chuck or two under that pile of tools...

And was that a drawing board arm I saw under there?

Don't throw any weird looking things away. Could be they fit that ShopSmith. That thing has more attachments than Carter has peanuts... I turned a coupla things on my Dad's ShopSmith last summer, and found all kinds of things for it in the drawers....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    That's quite the gloat Belinda.

Looks like a chuck or two under that pile of tools...

And was that a drawing board arm I saw under there?

Don't throw any weird looking things away. Could be they fit that ShopSmith. That thing has more attachments than Carter has peanuts... I turned a coupla things on my Dad's ShopSmith last summer, and found all kinds of things for it in the drawers....
    Yep, that's a drawing board arm. I also got a box full of packs of mechanical pencil leads, erasers, grease pencils, Exacto knives. I'm telling you, it's better than Christmas around here. Pops was an engineer. I also have, in the original sleeve envelope, a "slide rule calculator".

Fortunately for me, one of my shop guys is very familiar with the ShopSmith.

Pops lost an arm in an accident so everything in his shop was set up so that he could operate one armed.

Bella Terra

Well our father's had something in common then... My Dad lost a leg because of a failed artery bypass, so he used a prothsesis and crutched around in his blacksmith shop, until recently when he had a stroke and doesn't get out much anymore. Unfortunately, his shop is a few thousand miles away... too far to pick up any tools...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

That item is called a Box Scraper. Stanley/Baley made some, along with others. They were intended to take rough edges off of packing crates.
    Change One Thing

Thanks for the info George. Why does it swivel?

Bella Terra

I like the box scraper a lot!! And the lathe. What a fun project.

Oh...and I like this hollowing tool
    Freebies002.jpg

This tool proves that the owner is just like me

Great score Belinda!! You rock!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Oh...and I'm jealous of the clamps.

Clamp envy
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks John! It's all your fault, you know. Remember when I was lurking around and you suggested that the turners feed the stray and maybe I'd get a lathe? Well, I guess I did.

Bella Terra

Belinda,
    They look like old Stanley or Millers Falls Scrapers. They are used in a pulling action. I own a couple from who knows where but never attempted to use them. I believe they will make great decoration in your shop.
    faust