Thread: D-Way Beading tools

Question D-Way Beading tools

If you were going to get 2 of the beading tools what size would you get and why?

I would get the 3/16 and the 3/8 if all I could have was two of them.

My reasoning would be that I could accomplish all sized beads....3/8ths for the larger, and the 3/16ths for the smaller ones. Heck, I use a skew for everything now...those things would be a gift!! Nice looking tools too.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Gary,
    If you want to give them a spin for yourself, come on by and play with mine
    Russ
    Will Turn for Coffee

I bought the 1/8" and 3/16" because I can (and have) made my own profile scrapers for larger beads. Also, I had a specific piece that I wanted to use them for when purchasing them.

Hutch

P.S. Personally, for spindle turning I find a more traditional profile scraper to be more effective. That is, cleaner cuts in a wider variety of woods. I honed the D-Way beading tools to a mirror shine, but still didn't get the kind of results I was expecting. I am still experimenting with them, and my opinion could change.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 06-24-2011 at 12:39 PM.

My thoughts are leading me to 3/16" and 3/8", like John suggested, though I don't really have a good justification...
    Last edited by Gary Conklin; 06-24-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    I bought the 1/8" and 3/16" because I can (and have) made my own profile scrapers for larger beads. Also, I had a specific piece that I wanted to use them for when purchasing them.

Hutch

P.S. Personally, for spindle turning I find a more traditional profile scraper to be more effective. That is, cleaner cuts in a wider variety of woods. I honed the D-Way beading tools to a mirror shine, but still didn't get the kind of results I was expecting. I am still experimenting with them, and my opinion could change.
    Those are the 2 I bought...I am doing all my "Atkins" stuff with them. Ran them over some soft curly maple and had some minor tear out. Presentation seems to be the key. I'm tossing around the idea of getting his 1/4". I had the chance to try out a Sorby side by side. From a comparison stand point...the Sorby's presentation angle scared me.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    If you think that a particular piece of wood will produce tearout, coat that area with CA glue first. You'll barely notice it under most finishes, and you can still sand it after you've cut the bead, albeit with much more difficulty. And that's the tradeoff: less tearout versus harder to sand.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."