Thread: Any advice for turning a platter?

Any advice for turning a platter?

On my last wood purchasing expedition (Hi my name is Brian, and I have a wood collecting problem). I (SWMBO really) got several platter blanks. I have never turned a platter, and am thinking that I could have a real chatter problem when the platter gets near final thickness. How do I avoid the chatter near the outside of the platter when cutting. With a finial, I cut the thin end, and work toward the thicker end. With a larger diameter bowl, the procedure is essentially the same, working from finished outer edge toward the center. Is the procedure similar with a platter, where I would essentially finish cut the outer edge of the platter, while there is still some beef toward the center, and then start working toward the center, or is it better to fashion some sort of steady to give support behind the area being cut? 2 out of 3 of the blanks are dry, and one is very expensive camphor burl that I really don't want to screw up.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Slow is fast. don't rush it. light cuts. stop and look. keep your tool rest close to the piece, to avoid chatter.
    Take breaks, it isn't a race.
    If you ain't Cheatin', You ain't tryin'...

"If A equals success, then the formula is, A = X + Y + Z, Where X is work, Y is play, And Z is keep your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein.

How thin are you planning to go?

I have never really had a chatter problem with any of the platter I have done but I don't go very thin either.

I think in your mind you are making this seem harder than it really is. I have made a gaggle of platters in the 12 - 15" range, all from kiln dried and mostly segmented wood without the chatter problem you are referring. I chuck my platters with a worm screw and turn and sand the bottom completely. I don't want have to come back to the bottom, except to clean up any marks the chuck might have made in my recess. Then, I'll turn the top side, starting from the edge and completely turning it about an inch or inch and a half in (I don't want to have to come back to this part except to sand). Then, I'll finish the middle. The only time I have had a chatter problem is when I had to come back to the edge for some reason or the other.

P7300677.JPG

Hi, Brian:
    Like Toney, I don't turn platters too thin. I prefer a plate or platter to feel fairly substantial. You can see the way I usually do them here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLAD949FBE2608C610

Take care
    Bob

I pretty much follow Bills plan and also used kiln dried wood. I use 8/4 wood for mine. When you turn the platter around the key is to start from the edge and work in about a 1" at a time making sure it is pretty much finished except for sanding. Keep working your way in. Once you get pretty much in the middle you cannot go back out to the edge again. Give it a go.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.