Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWFS 2011: Anyone Going and is it worth while?

Question AWFS 2011: Anyone Going and is it worth while?

I've been lurking on the forum for a few years now and have never really posted anything up so here goes.

I'm wondering if anyone is going to this years AWFS show in Vegas. It's only about a 2 hour drive for me but I'm still not sold as I haven't really been able to find any real world feed back on it. Is this a MUST see where I'm only out of pocket gas and registration?

It's a big show...

...with almost all of the major manufacturers and suppliers mixed in with lots of not-so-major specialty companies. It's the 'mother-of-all-shows.' There's pretty much everything there, from A to Z. It used to be almost impossible to do it in one day, especially if you wanted to take any time at all in some of the booths.

They hold the show every two years. I went four years ago which was before the world economic melt-down and it was humming. Two years ago there were a lot less attendees and the show was smaller than before, but still huge. The drop-off in attendance made it easier as an attendee, easier to get someone's 'ear' in the booths. It is supposed to be open 'to the trade only,' however given the economic situation I don't think that it's all that difficult to get around that.

I have no idea how this year's show will manifest itself but since it's the major trade show for the industry and held only every two years, most of the 'biggies' don't want to miss it. There are some deals to be had for (large) equipment there and since you're only a couple of hours away, it may be worth going to see what you could come back for after the show ends (presumably with truck).

I had considered taking a booth there both two years ago and again this year, but it's just too darned expensive, especially for a smaller guy like me. Plus, my primary 'worth' or stock is big, massive, heavy cants of cocobolo and the show doesn't lend itself very well to local cash and carry type trade. But I'm going again as an attendee just to keep up on what's happening in the industry and I always make new and interesting contacts there.

I think today is the last day to register at a reduced price so if you're interested, don't hold back too much longer.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

I've got my wife convinced we need a short trip to Vegas, just happens to be the same weekend!! Whats the odds, anyways, this will be my 1st one. Is it necessary to preregister or, can one just show up at the door?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I've got my wife convinced we need a short trip to Vegas, just happens to be the same weekend!! Whats the odds, anyways, this will be my 1st one. Is it necessary to preregister or, can one just show up at the door?
    In my "limited" experience with situations like this, it's never bad to preregister.

I have preregistered for this show but you can register on site with no problems. Bit of a drive for me but sort of like a vacation. As someone else suggested it was smaller 2 years ago but still a good show.

Brian

The show is aimed more at the commercial market than the hobbiest. For instance, you'll see machinery intended for factories, and you'll see distributors hoping to sell to retailers, not end-users. That said, it is a very interesting show. If it only costs you a two-hour drive plus the $25 registration, go.

Jamie Buxton is correct.

But there is still a lot of retail going on. And, in my experience, the industrial people are willing to talk to anyone. You can go up to a carbide supplier and ask about carbide.

It is really, almost, two separate shows with woodworking and tools in one hall and veneer and finishing in another.

There should be a bunch of shops that do sharpening as well.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Looking at the brochure there seems to be a couple of good furniture classes that would be worth attending.

For those of us who go to the WoodWorking Shows this would be like dying and going to heaven.

Definitely worth a two hour drive if you have never attended. You will see about all there is too see in WW'ing machines from commercial to shop use. Even if you are not shopping you will learn much. I have been to Vegas once and the alternate big show at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta 4 times. I demo'ed for a tool manufacturer at the 2008 show here in Atlanta and still learned much about what is available out there.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured for $25/pp via the early registration I couldn't afford to miss it. Convinced the VP of production (i.e. the wife) to tag along so it should be a good weekend.

I remember a show that we used to attend in Anaheim back in the day (15+ years ago) before we sold our 1st shop to chase other adventures, but if AWFS is either the same show or anything like that one I knew one day wouldn't be anywhere enough, so the plan is to pop in early Friday through Saturday.

http://awfsfair.org/

official site with classes and people displaying

This used to be the Anaheim show sort of.

I actually like this show better than Atlanta even though it is smaller. There seems to be much more opportunity to have real discussions with real experts.

Remember, please, that shows overall are much smaller.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Thanks for the response Tom. I had been wondering if it was the same show. A number of the items I held onto after we sold the 1st edition shop actually came from deals found at those shows in Anaheim. Now I'm tickled that I didn't pass up the early registration.

I am registered to attend the inlay class. In the past I have had classes with Paul Schurch, Lon Shelling, etc. I liked the city of Anaheim much better than LV. The only good thing about Vegas is Lake Mead. Go a day early, rent a boat and enjoy beautiful water. I have been to 5-6 shows and have found my time well spent. I used to purchase for the school, but now I just go for my one man shop. I did not see Lie Nielson on the vendor list as in the past, but the other companies are all there. If you are planning to purchase any kind of equipment for even a small shop, it will be there and it is nice to compare. Prices are usually better also.

I didnt see Grizzly on the list either, is this common for them to not attend this large of a WW show?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Grizzly has never attended any shows but this one and Atlanta. Those are the two largest shows in the U.S. and they alternate years with next year being Atlanta as it was last year. But.. I believe Papa Griz decided he was exposed enough on-line.. mags and his 3 showrooms located across the U.S. without spending a small fortune to rent space.. transport machines to and fro.. pay those to set up.. work and break down and transport back.

It is extremely expensive to set up a large area as Griz has to have at these two shows. With the economy many vendors are opting out each year as cost have not gone down but up and traffic at the shows has been down. The economy is the economy... what you see is what you get. Shame as many will never get to see the entire Grizzly line side by side. Whatever..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler