Thread: Small plane

Small plane

I have a small plane that came through my wifes family, and I was wondering if anyone here could identify it.

My guess is that its a fairly common, generic plane. Mid 1900's. No markings I can see. About 6 inches overall length.

It cuts nice and I plan on just using it unless someone here tells me its some rare find - in which case I will put it on the shelf (dont plan on selling it since its a family item, but if valuable I wouldnt be comfortable using it - go figure)

I have one just like that except no corrugated sole. I think it's a Bailey.

It does look like my #3 Bailey
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

Blog Entries
    How wide is the blade?

The adjuster looks like it is a #2.

A pricey plane if one is buying, but also a nice plane for a small smoother.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Could you measure the exact length? Is it closer to 7" or 5.5"?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Could you measure the exact length? Is it closer to 7" or 5.5"?
    One of the images has a penny in the shot that leads me to think it is likely closer to 7".

The lateral adjuster and the adjusting nut lead me to the same thought.

The #2 with corrugations on the sole is somewhat scarce. A #1 with corrugations doesn't exist as far as I know. The #1 never had a lateral adjuster as far as I know.

The #2s never saw some of the modifications of the rest of the bigger planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thanks guys - I will measure this eve and report back on the length. As a first guess, I would say its 7" in length, not 5.5". (and if I am remembering right - which I very well may NOT be, the holes in that table are on 1.5" centers). The penny looks a little small in the picture maybe due to optics of the photo.

I do use it with one hand fairly easily.

Stay tuned.

The Bailey 2C is quite collectable based on the sky high prices on that auction site. I have seen broken/welded 2C's go for $100. Can't figure why.

I don't think you could hurt the value of the plane using it--just don't drop it!

Ok I measure overall length at 7" approx. And width just under 2"

Thanks to everyone for the tips here. I believe this is a #2C. Although I dont believe there are any markings - I will take the blade out and check more closely, and try to confirm but it fits well with the time period of the original owner (my wifes grandfather)

If it checks out it seems it is fairly valuable - I might rethink using it and just clean it up and store it nicely for an addition to the kids college fund someday. (I would feel bad now if I dropped it or hit a nail or something.....). But I know value can vary a lot based on condition and originality - does anyone know an expert in the MA area?

In some ways, its better NOT knowing.

Blog Entries
    If it checks out it seems it is fairly valuable - I might rethink using it and just clean it up and store it nicely for an addition to the kids college fund someday.
    Value is somewhat relative. A quick look at completed auctions does show one went recently for almost $300. Overall, the bids for #2s in general are below what they were a few years ago.

Mine is on a shelf in the shop. It is used when it is the best plane for the job.

jtk

Thats surely a Stanley 2C. The front knob is wrong, its from a 3 or 4 size. But its still worth quite a bit. Maybe 350 as it sits. Id use it as a paperweight or something it would not be fun to drop it. Those things explode when they hit a slab floor. Very nice find though

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I have a small plane that came through my wifes family, and I was wondering if anyone here could identify it.

My guess is that its a fairly common, generic plane. Mid 1900's. No markings I can see. About 6 inches overall length.

It cuts nice and I plan on just using it unless someone here tells me its some rare find - in which case I will put it on the shelf (dont plan on selling it since its a family item, but if valuable I wouldnt be comfortable using it - go figure)
    Looks like my Bailey #2, except for the corrugated sole. I dated mine the best I could to the late 1800s. There might be some value there, but if you want to use it, I say go for it. Mine is a user. Of course, that doesn't mean I can't take good care of it.

Does the depth adjuster advance or retract when turned clockwise?

The front knob is slightly less in diameter than the width of the body. Turning clockwise advances the blade out for a deeper cut.

There are Stanley markings on the blade, and also a Pat # on the lever (#72488). Looks like an owner at some point filed a W across the top.

Its in decent enough shape - what I think is a crack in the handle but it might be a scratch, or it might be something that was repaired at one time (its plenty solid). Other than sharpening, I havent tried to clean it up at all and am not inclined to try (because no doubt I would do something that would be better off not doing)

Some more pics:

I think I will just keep using it.