Thread: Soap method of drying green bowls

Soap method of drying green bowls

I have read a bit about using a soap from Cosco to dry green turned bowls. Has anyone use another brand or type of soap? I do not have a Cosco close to me but I do have Walmart and Sams Club where I might be able to get a large size of soap.

By next weekend I hope to cut and turn my first green bowl so any suggestions that you might have for a "green" turner, please pass them along.

Ed, I would imagine any Dish soap should work but you may want to Scroll down this page to " Similar threads" and read Dave Smith's article on drying green bowls.
    Good luck, it works for me!

Fred

I agree with Fred! I use Dave Smiths method It has worked great for me!

Jim
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

My friend uses it. He uses laundry detergent. The cheapest he can find. I think the Costco name is thrown in there because of the large amount needed. It might be worth it to buy in bulk. Just try to get soap that hasn't got too much in the way of scents or additives. You are looking for the solids to replace the water in the cells and keep them from collapsing. There is no need for any other additives if you can avoid it. My friend Matt is very pleased with his results so far.

Ed, go the Dave Smith's alcohol method. You won't regret it.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I haven't used the alcohol method yet, but I have had good luck with the soap. I only turned about 15 bowls and closed forms before I shut down for the winter (and to build a shop). After rough turning, I soaked the bowls for a day in the soap solution before turning to final size (6-8" and close to 1/8" thick). None cracked, but some woods moved to slightly out-of-round (Osage Orange, in particular). The natural edge bowls seems to move the most (because of grain orientation?). I didn't try to leave the rough, soaked bowls for a couple of weeks like Dave suggests for the alcohol method.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.