Thread: what do you think about this deal on this lathe?

what do you think about this deal on this lathe?

Grizzly model G0462 wood lathe. Almost new with fewer than 50 hours use. 2 HP 110v motor, 10 speeds 600 to 2400 RPM, Heavy duty , precision ground cast iron bed and cast iron legs. Many more features. Grizzly sells this lathe new for $545.00 plus $94 shipping.Many more features. Call for details.

The asking price is $325.00

Some of the reviews are critical of the slow speed being only 600rpm. And the tail stock not locking well.
    Currently I have the Ridgid lathe, I don't like the Ridgid due to belt changes for speed and standard add-ons will not fit the Ridgid.

Please let me know your thoughts about this deal "deal? Or no deal?"
    Last edited by John Gregory; 06-29-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add price
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

As long as the centers line up, that would be a darn good deal in my book. Not super low RPM speed, but if you rough your blanks out decently, that speed will be OK. The tail stock MIGHT have a nut holding the plate underneath that MIGHT be able to be tightened....but I am just speculating.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

3. That is not a bad setup for a person who cannot afford a more expensive lathe...........the low rpm is a bit high for out of balance blanks..............that can be managed by good bandsaw work. The lathe is a little light weight by most standards, but it will be functional and at that price is not a bad move, providing you only have a small amount to put towards a lathe.

Grizzly tech support is also very good should you ever need them.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I think it is a deal. I bet that the tail-stock issue can be helped with some adjustments. This is about the cost of a mini-lathe, you get a larger machine. I would caution you to discard that banjo extension instead of using it (and breaking it).

Sounds like a good deal. About a month ago, I sold a very similar Delta Model for $300 with a lot more than 50 hours on it. Like other have said, if the centers line up, go for it. You can easily add some ballast to deaden the vibration.

I recently sold mine like that for 400 IIRC. I had upgraded the banjo to the one from the electronic 16 inch Grizzly. Much better.
    David

Ok the seller sent me pictures of the lathe.IMG_3342.jpgIMG_3341.jpgIMG_3340.jpg
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

8. Definitely worth $325.00!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

2hp on 110v? I am no sparky but that is not a combination I have seen.

Yes. That motor has plenty of power too. And yes there is a nut under the tailstock.
    David

So buy it and have some fun with it and when you're ready to upgrade you shouldn't have trouble selling it.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Go get it and post pics in your shop... Looks like a great deal. The tool rest doesn't even look used.

Jon

I'll go against the grain, or at least say "it depends". Do you intend to turn bowls or mostly spindles? The low speed is not going to be conducive to roughing out bowl blanks, even if they are sawn round on the BS.

If you plan to do mostly spindle work, then it is probably a pretty good deal. First thing is to get rid of the banjo extension. Don't use it unless you use some kind of support under it. Something as simple as a 2x4 as a post under it will suffice, but without support they are known to snap with even the slightest catch.

I had one. You will need to get rid of the banjo offset thing. The tool rest will fit in the banjo. I replaced the banjo with one from a Delta. The Grizzly tool rest posts are slightly different size than 1", if you use a aftermarket tool rest you will have to drill it out. The drive belt is crap, I got one from NAPA. I made a lot of pretty good stuff with it. I sold mine at a consignment auction and got $120. It was just over a year old.

My Dad has a bigger Grizzly. The finish isn't the best. and the 1" hole in the banjo for the tool rest was 1/64 too small. But it was right in his price range and he got good turning capacity for the money. This looks to be a similar situation. You can put 2x4 in the legs to add a shelf and add some sand bags. 600 rpm is really fast for anything over 8-10" that isn't real round. It is also 20AMPs. So if you can work around those 2 issues, it looks to be a good price for a good capacity machine.

-Wes