Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is my Symposium gloat!

Here is my Symposium gloat!

Hey all,

First of all, since this was my first ever Symposium I wasn't quite sure what to expect. While seeing some the best turners in the world in the demo's was good, I also saw some great items in the galleries. Then, I met some wonderful people from SMC. The only thing I regret was not introducing myself to more Creeker's at the dinner.

As far as gloats go, I did pick up a few things: A Thompson bowl gouge and handle (and many thanks to Doug and his wife: you know what I'm talking about!), a Pendant Chuck, some sanding supplies from Vince and a few bargain wood blanks at the end (it sure was nice not to have to worry about space since I only live 10 miles from St Paul!)

And then there is my 10 yr old daughter. When I found out the AAW offered Youth classes, I asked her if she wanted to go and she was a little hesitant (my 7 yr old son would have jumped at the chance but the age limit is 10). Abby's experience with the lathe was cleaning up the dust around it so I spent about 45 minutes with her on my lathe the night before the Symposium.

Her first class was with Bonnie Klein on turning basics. Here she is before the class:
    abby3.jpg

The next class was 'Ball and Cup Toy'. Here she is sanding away...
    abby2.jpg

And the finished product!
    abby1.jpg

Then we show up for the drawing for one of the 25 lathe stations and hear her name called. She was pretty excited!

But to me the biggest gloat is how much Abby really seemed to enjoy herself and now she now has her own lathe to use. Even though I've been a stay-at-home dad since Abby was born and I've spent a lot of time with my kids, I can't wait to get some lathe time with both of them and see what they come up with! Heck, they'll probably pass me up in no time!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Great report, Doug. You'll never have another quiet day in the shop again and I bet you love it. My kids were grown and gone before I got my lathe but I've got a couple grandsons that can turn all they want. 'Course, they have to learn to walk first...

Doug congrats on all of this, its great your kids are getting involved in turning, and how cool is that what your daughter made!! I dont think I could turn one that good!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

it was great to hear about your daughters experiences at the symposium, keep us updated

Doug, Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed reading it, what a great story. I think the woodturning community is something pretty special. It really does transcend generations, I hope the three of you spend many hours enjoying each other's company. I look forward to teaching the younger generation of my family when she is old enough. (she's almost 4) she just asked me the other day if she could watch me turn sometime

It looks like your daughter is another happy swimmer in the vortex now. I bet they will take to it like fish to water. That's a great ball and cup, she's a natural!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Nice story Doug. I was lucky enough to get my 13 year old son there too on Saturday. It is great that Abby was lucky enough to take that lathe she is working on home with her. For those that didn't know, Jet donated all the lathes and they were raffled off to the youth participants! Hope to see many more pictures of Abby working on the lathe.

Doug, I feel fortunate to have met your daughter at the symposium - a very sweet young lady. She will certainly enjoy the lathe and other goodies, and I bet her Dad will enjoy having the company in the shop. My congrats to her on her fortunate win, and to you for being such a great Dad!

This is PRICELESS, & the best gloat I've heard.
    Congrats

I saw this little one several times at the Thompson booth and I really got a chuckle when she touched a tool and said "I really like this one and it's only $105", a real cutie!
    Bill

Wow now that's something worth gloating about. A daughter interested in the 'sport' plus a new lather of her own. Congrats on both!

That is to cool Doug, Not the lathe but having a great daughter.

Alan

Been waiting for this gloat!!! Congrats! Excellent photos - especially the one with her holding the finished project - the smile says it all!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very neat Doug. I bet she is super excited to have her own lathe and tools!!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Awesome Gloat Doug.

Hope Abby sticks at it. I had my Daughter turning pens a couple of years ago, but then she noticed boys and hasn't had any interest since

Great story, great pictures, great time! Congrats Doug on some memories that will last a lot longer than that lathe.