Thread: Agazzani B/S

Agazzani B/S

Getting ready to purchase a Agazzani B20 B/S from Eagle tools. Have a question regarding the "euro" guides. Not having any experience with this type of guide, how well do they adjust/work. Evidently Agazzani has a new euro style guide that is supposed to be much better then the previous guides on these B/S. Does anyone have any experience regarding the new style of guides, or recommendations.
    Thanks
    John

John, I have used the old style euro guides and they are mediocre so any improvement is welcome, although if the saw is tuned and the tension correct the guides aren't very important anyway. Dave

John,

I haven't had too much time to play with it since mine came in and I didn't have the old style to compare, but the guides do seem very, very easy to adjust when compared to the carter setup that i've got on the 14" saw. No tools required and the tracking on the post keeps them setup nicely if you have to change the height. Blade changes are actually much faster because i don't have to fiddle with the guides as much.

Lou

Big Improvement over the old guides.
    Too bad website still sucks!

What's different about the guides? Jesse from Eagle Tools sent me this picture of the new style guides (that are yellow to distinguish between old and new style). They look the same to me?
    NewAgazzaniGuides#35.jpg

I've a UK originating B-24-ish Agazzani (actually an NRA 600), but it seems to have the newer style guides. I never had the older type, but understand that the difference may be that the new ones include some sort of friction deal so that there is no need to do up lock nuts and the like.

I haven't done that much work with the saw, and still need to go through it carefully to check alignments. That said the guides seem about as easy to adjust and trouble free as I can imagine.

They are not idiot proof - it's possible as the previous owner did on my saw to badly groove the thrust pads by using too much feed force as a result of a blunt blade.

Laguna do ceramic guides which seem to be a bit more awkward to set up, but may well do a slightly better job of damping any lateral vibration that could arise in the blade. (that said mine has been rock solid so far)

Chances are too that the stock guides could be less than ideal on narrow blades much below about 10mm - the corners are chamfered. The low camber wheels are not really set up for this. I've not tried yet though. Block type guides or the Carter unit seem to be the plan for narrow blades judging by material posted by Van Huskey and others - a search should bring it up...

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    What's different about the guides? Jesse from Eagle Tools sent me this picture of the new style guides (that are yellow to distinguish between old and new style). They look the same to me?
    NewAgazzaniGuides#35.jpg
    There have been a couple of people post regarding the changes but other than the higher friction that Ian mentioned it escapes me, a search should get you the answers.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.