Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little help from the machinists among us, please

Just send return postage with the shaft. This will be a favor. PM me for my address when ready. If you send the shaft,I can quickly determine the thread,anyway.

Thank you George. Your offer is extremely generous. I will endeavor to disassemble it when I get back into town, and contact you then.

14 threads to the half inch in the picture you provide.
    So we have a 28 tpi shaft.

Joe,if you can confirm that 28 tpi.,you won't have to send the shaft as my standard 28 tpi. tap will cut the threads the correct diameter.

Hi George - that sounds like a plan - I will check that out when I get back there. As I look at the pics I posted, I realize now that I can probably only fit a 3/4" width wheel, once I allow for the hex nut and a flange. Not sure what to do for a flange - will a flat washer serve the same purpose, or does it need to be cupped/dished?

I'll make you a cupped flange and some bushings to fit 1/2" hole wheels,5/8",or whatever you decide to use. I doubt you can find 7/16" wheel holes. I'll make the flange as thin as is workable to leave room for the wheels. The nut doesn't need to be too thick,either,for that low power application.

Hi George,

That thread is indeed 7/16-28.
    All the Norton wheels I'm considering have a 1" arbor hole.
    Thanks again.

Is the shoulder your wheels go against more than 1" diameter? If not,you'll have to have 2 flanges,which will take up even more space on your short arbor.

The fixed flange is 2" in diameter. It looks as though I will have to go with a 3/4" thick wheel. I'm clearly missing whatever parts allowed the original setup to utilize a 1 1/2" wide wheel!

I'll just bet the original wheel had a partially smooth bore,partially threaded bore to just screw onto the arbor.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-10-2011 at 3:44 PM.

P.M. me your address so I can make the parts. Postage probably $5.00 max. I don't know offhand what a Priority mail cardboard envelope costs. Whatever it is,just send that. I'll send you my address when you PM me.

I haven't received your letter yet,Joe.

13. Resurrecting an old thread due to current relevance.
    I recently purchased a little hand crank grinder because of it's unique design.
    After posting a quick repair vid on Youtube http://youtu.be/FFpl-vYX8Oc I received a comment that it was a a Luther 51 grinder. While researching the name I came across this thread. In addition I found this catalog on Toolemera
    http://toolemera.com/catpdf/luther1920CAT.pdf
    This is a really cool little grinder. Until I read the catalog I had no idea that it could be set up as a tool grinder, milk separator, and even a breast drill. I especially liked the foot treadle on page 19.
    The inventor must be Luther McGiver.