Thread: Lacquer Drying Time

Lacquer Drying Time

How long do you need to let rattle can lacquer dry before buffing? Lets assume average temp of 85F and 75% humidity. I got into a last minute finishing situation with a wedding gift. I can let it go without buffing but would like to polish it up if it has cured enough.

Thanks,

Greg

Lacquer dries very quickly. You can polish it within an hour. It's better to give it 24 hours to cure but if you are in a hurry, one hour will be enough.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks David!

I've got 36 hours of drying time on the piece so I will take it to the buffing wheel.

Greg

also factor in how heavy the coats are and did you let them dry before adding more.....

There's a big difference between dry and dry enough to buff.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I have buffed lacquer after just a couple of hours with no difficulty. However, humidity plays a role, as do the number of coats and thickness of the coats. The key, IMO, is to use a slower speed and not be aggressive with the wheels. Let the compounds do their work. I buff at about 750 rpms.

There are a lot of factors, so a hard and fast rule is difficult.

All of the coats were light with at least 2 hours between. Just finished buffing it and it looks great. On my way out of town but will try to get a picture up when i get back. Thanks for all of the quick responses.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    The key, IMO, is to use a slower speed and not be aggressive with the wheels. Let the compounds do their work. I buff at about 750 rpms.
    That is the key. Use a very light touch and no more than 1000 rpm's. Get too aggressive and the lacquer will melt from the heat causing a huge mess. DAMHIKT
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln