Thread: Spalted Hackberry- will spalting continue and go punky once cut and sealed??

Spalted Hackberry- will spalting continue and go punky once cut and sealed??

Hi All,
    I just got a few pieces of spalted Hackberry. I also have several other pieces of different species of spalted wood. I have a question about spalted wood turning punky. I know that if the log is left on the ground, wet, untreated it will eventually turn punky and decompose. The pieces that I have are cut into blocks, green and Anchor Sealed. Left as they are now, will they continue to spalt and get punky or has the process stopped once the wood is cut and sealed? IN OTHER WORDS... USE IT OR LOOSE IT???
    Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Michael Ginsberg; 07-02-2011 at 3:41 PM.

If they're still wet and the temperature is right, they'll continue to spalt. Once dry, they'll stop. If the wood is to your liking now, I'd rough turn and dry it.
    Last edited by David E Keller; 07-02-2011 at 3:51 PM. Reason: auto correct was not correct

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    If they're still wet and the temperature is right, they'll continue to spalt. Once dry, they'll stop. If the wood is to your liking now, I'd fought turn and dry it.
    The rate of spalting is directly related to the temp. 90 degrees is about ideal for spalting. Too high or too low of a temp, and the activity slows down and stops. I have not see wood spalt when it was stored around 70 degrees or lower.

Scott and David, I guess I better get turning because my garage in the summer is around 80 degrees. If I rough turn, alchohol soak, and dry... that will give me more time. Based on what you are saying about the temp., I should store in my basement where it is much cooler before I can rough turn?
    Last edited by Michael Ginsberg; 07-02-2011 at 4:05 PM.

Moisture levels have a big influence on the spalting of different woods. Hackberry will degrade much faster than a harder wood, like maple, and once the wood moisture drops below about 18% the spalting will stop in most woods.

According to Sara Robinson, who is a PhD and wrote a series of articles and a blog at FWW about spalted wood, (btw, she's also a member of this forum) the optimum conditions for spalting to occur are 80 F and 20% MC or higher.

Since you have slabbed your blanks and (I presume) just coated the end grain, the spalting process will probably stop due to lack of moisture.

Just be aware that Hackberry goes very quickly from nicely spalted to punky. You probably want to sacrifice one blank for a test piece. Cut off a piece every couple of weeks and see if the spalting is continuing. Re-seal the end grain after checking.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln