Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ode to Molly

Ode to Molly

I am giant fan of Molly Winton's work and after speaking with her in St Paul and then purchasing a Burnmaster, I have been trying to think of a small form to turn and burn. I dont have any NiChrome wire yet, so I can't make my own custom pattern and so this piece was burnt ONE LINE AT A TIME!! Yes thats right, 5 burn marks then turn to the opposite direction and repeat! It took forever but I stuck with it. I can really see how pyro can really dress up a form and cant wait to put it to use on future forms.

Thanks for the inspiration, Molly!

This piece of Cherry is small at 2 1/2" tall x 3 1/2" wide. Finished with BLO.

Comment and critiques are always welcome, thanks.

ode1.jpgode2.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

That's cool, Scott! Cherry and pyro are a great color combination. If I were to change anything, I'd consider burning a crisp line at the shoulder transition to replace the dots. I think you did a wonderful job on the pattern, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this pyro takes you.

Very cool Scott! I really like the form and I think the pyro really works with it.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

very nice, i like Molly's work also

You are a patient man Scott! Very inspiring effort...makes me want to get my burner out!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

How long did it take to do that? You must have a lot of patience!

Looks great!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Scott:

I really like the combination of the cherry and the buring. Did Molly do a demo? I had wanted to see Dixie Biggs, but she didn't make it as planned. I have been doing some burning and would have liked to have seen a demo. Nice job on this one and it was a pleasure meeting you in St. Paul.

By the way, I purchased my NiChrome wire from http://www.nichromewire.biz/ I have no relation to these folks other than being a happy customer.
    Last edited by Greg Just; 07-03-2011 at 8:00 AM. Reason: added info

Scott, excellent pyro work! And, I like the rim detail at the top. I do agree with David on a defined edge - perhaps even mimicing the line on the rim. I also wonder what it might do if the shoulder of the form were at the 2/3 point.

Did you find the cherry a good subject for burning? I have not done much yet with my burner, but I wonder if there are preferable woods - did Molly mention that?

Scott - nice work.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Great work Scott. Really fine looking pyro. Molly's work is just outstanding and she is extremely helpful.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well, it looks to me like you have what it takes to be successful with burning - imagination, a steady hand and patience! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing whats next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good job on the pyro work, Scott. It sounds like you are on the way to having even more fun than before. I have done a little woodburning on some of my pieces and am looking forward to learning more, but I only have a Cub. How do you like your Burnmaster?

Marc

Thanks everyone. I learned quite a few things on this little form that will help if I do the "basket weave" pattern again. First off I DO need to burn a definition line at the shoulder, while still on the lathe. I also had quite a time with the pattern as the surface area reduced to the bottom. I started off making 5 lines and then went to 4 and then 3, to shrink the pattern.

This is my first "real" burner. I thought what I owned was a wood burner (pen style) but there is NO comparison to a professional unit. The old cheapy took 15 minutes, at least, to get hot enough to burn and it still was a slow burn. The Burnmaster tip gets red hot in 5-10 seconds and cools tothe touch in 30 seconds. The beauty of the hot temps (adjustable) is instant branding. I really like this tool and will be ordering some wire soon so I can make my "own" design for a background pattern.
    -------
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ...Did you find the cherry a good subject for burning? I have not done much yet with my burner, but I wonder if there are preferable woods - did Molly mention that?
    Molly didn't meantion types of woods, but I had a little block of cherry left from a different project and it worked very well. And no I didn't cut up the cherry you gave me for this one! One thing she did meantion, as a helpfull hint to the newbie, is to have a short bristle natural brush (which I got in my decorating elf tool!) and brush the burning area afterwards to remove the ash. That really cleans up the work and makes the pattern stand out better.
    -------
    -------

Scott, I understand wiping the turning with DNA after burning will help in the cleanup, as well. Some good tips - thanks!