Thread: cabinet doors

cabinet doors

almost all the contrasting wood projects i've seen have the lighter wood in the middle surrounded by the darker wood on the outside. thinking of trying it the other way round say maple ff and rail and stiles with something like cherry or walnut for the door panels (shaker style door) may try the shaker raised panel style. would this look weird with the lighter wood as the surround?

I did a Google image search, and by golly you're right!

I found this though:
    BackBathroomCabinetDoorsClosed.jpg

The full website is: http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/do...tion=top_posts

Personally, I don't think it would look weird.

Considerations: Having darker wood on the edges, where the doors get touched/handled most and likely get dirty would show dirt less than light colored edges. Another thing to consider is the size of the space. If you had the panels darker, then you'd have larger dark area. If the room is small, and/or dark in general, this would make the room look even smaller/darker.

Here is another one:

Bathroom%20Vanity_small.jpg

Go to http://www.romawat.org/furniture.htm scroll down to Bathroom Vanity, and click on the image to see the larger version. It is too large to link here.

you are better at searching than i for i didn't find any thing. good point on the dirt showing on the lighter wood.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    good point on the dirt showing on the lighter wood
    I would disagree. Most of the dirt accumulated on the frame where there is more contact as George suggests above will be greasy fingermarks, these will be more visible over a dark reflective surface than over a light reflective surface.