Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about coffee makers

Let's talk about coffee makers

We need a new coffee maker. Our last one died a couple of months ago. Anyhow, we're looking online and I don't think I trust any of the reviews or ratings.

What are you guys using?

French press, also called push-down pot. For instance http://www.peets.com/shop/essentials...ature4-_-Image It is fast, not too messy, and makes tasty coffee.

This one.....7 years old; works just fine. One thing - the glass carafe will not bounce when it hits a tile floor...............

$72 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-...p_ob_k_title_1
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

A cuisinart maker. It's OK, but I don't know if there are any really good non-commercial ones for a price I'd pay - i think they're lacking in power a little bit, but I've seen opinions before that coffee brewed at too high of a temp gets bitter.

I still like coffee out of a percolator better than any drip maker, and that's boiling.

Thermal carafe is a must, that's probably #1, and one with a charcoal filter is nice, but you can do that with a brita or whatever if you're using city water.

I also grind my own coffee. This is a big component in tasty coffee. This grinder works well: http://www.peets.com/shop/essentials...d=145&cid=3005 . I've gotten to the point that I buy only a half pound at a time, so it is never more than a week from the roaster.

Most Cuisanart coffee makers come with a 3 year warranty. They no longer make the model we used to have so when it died after about 7 years we just used an old Gevalia coffee maker that was collecting dust.

I am a big fan of BUNN coffee makers. The home version costs around $100. If you have good water they will last a long time, I have well water with high iron and lime content and mine last me around 4 years before they start having problems. The Bunn is on all of the time keeping the water hot so a pot of coffee can be ready to drink in a very short time but this consumes electricity.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Over the years I have developed the opinion that anything that brings the water to an appropriate temperature and heats the carafe well can make a decent cup of coffee with clean water and good coffee grounds. I am currently running a "free" coffee maker that I got from ordering a trial of Gavalia coffee 7 years ago or so. It has made coffee nearly every day since the day I first plugged it in. I have also had coffee makers that cost as much as a good saw blade and with good coffee beans and clean water, they both make a good cup-a-Joe.

At work we use the Kuerig (sp?) K-cups. When I first saw these things I thought "what a gimmick, how ridiculous". I now humbly submit that for our work environment, this silly thing is fantastic. No coffee grounds to mess with. Pop in the filter and push a button and in about a minute you have a perfect cup of coffee with no mess (very important since we operate an illegal coffee operation in our offices and don't use the building coffee room). At about 40 cents a cup combined with the lack of any additional peraphenalia (filters, coffee can, scoop, drippy used filters and grounds) it pretty much rocks. I am an unwilling convert ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I am a big fan of BUNN coffee makers. The home version costs around $100. If you have good water they will last a long time, I have well water with high iron and lime content and mine last me around 4 years before they start having problems. The Bunn is on all of the time keeping the water hot so a pot of coffee can be ready to drink in a very short time but this consumes electricity.
    Bunn is what I'm looking at right now. I had a Cuisinart. I didn't like it the first day and I didn't like it when it died. It did last a long time but I always thought it was cheaply made and never really worked right.

I am with David, we have had a Braun for about 12 years and it works great, no filters to buy. I have replaced the basket one or two times but that is it. I do have an under sink filter and that is what gets used for the water or tea.

It is auto shut off so I don't have to worry about turning it off. Not only does it do the coffee in the morning but I also use it to make my ice tea.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    +1 on the Bunn. We don't like waiting 1/2 hour for coffee to brew.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I bought a Cuisinart DGB-900BC Automatic Burr Grind & Brew coffee maker about a year ago. It brews the best cup of coffee that I have had out of a conventional coffee maker. It does use a fair amount of coffee beans if you like Starbuck strong coffee. The thermal carafe does an excellent job of keeping the coffee fresh & hot.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DGB-.../dp/B000T9XPHC
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-04-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    +1 on the Bunn. We don't like waiting 1/2 hour for coffee to brew.
    +2 for the Bunn.

Ours is 15 years old and still going strong. The one problem that we had with it was the gasket between the reservoir and the heating tank will go bad and leak when water is dumped in the top. The gasket was easy to replace.

-Tom Stenzel

Another vote for the Bunn. We us reverse osmosis water in ours works very well and have had ours for quite a few years. My parents had one and the coffee pot was literally on morning to night making pots of coffee. It survived their use and kept on making coffee for a long time.

Vote for french press. We use Gevalia coffee for more then 15 years. Ground beens before use, two-three minutes and nice hot and tasty coffee.
    Ed.