Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Let's talk about coffee makers

cup o mud maker

I use RO water when I make coffee.

I too am tired of buying consumer kitchen stuff that has a life span equal to a pair of jeans.

Presently I have a Cuisinart Thermal Carafe unit and it's been around for almost 11 years. I like the thermal carafe much more than the standard glass carafe, the maker makes coffee and it's off. I also have a Barista (from Starbucks) espresso maker which has been flawless and it's about 7 or 8 years old. On sale it was $400 but it makes great capuccinos and my wife says that its worth it to her (that I get a serious cafine shot that is).

I use a KitchenAid burr grinder for all of my coffee, its the one that looks like a bubble gum machine. I've had to re-work the motor mounting screws after it all came loose and the warranty repair shop did a bad "repair" job. It has worked well for 4 years now. I would like a slightly better grinder but will soldier on with what I have for now.

If I wasn't such a lazy guy I'd just use the French press. It makes a great cup every time. It's my go to unit for road trips etc.

I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen. I work from scratch with my ingredients and make my own sausages, bacon and pasta etc. At this point in my life I am sick of one use immersion blenders, stand mixers, coffer makers, toasters and food processors. I refuse to buy that consumer garbage anymore. Sadly all of the Brands crank out this landfill junk. My solution to this problem has been to buy commercial grade stuff from the US online webrestaurant suppliers. I have been very happy with the Waring Commercial line of appliances. Sadly as great as they are and they truly have that made in US look, they are made in China. Regardless the stuff is bullet proof and should you need to repair something the parts are available. Of course Sheilah was a bit touchy about bring home the 22 pound 4 slice toaster from a US business trip. One bagel and she quieted down.

As with our woodworking pursuits, we get what we pay for for the most part. I may be learning this finally. Apparently my stomach gets my attention.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-24-2011 at 11:48 AM.

My Capresso is going on about 10-yrs I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Update!

So after all of that, my wife got tired of my "research". She came home a day or two ago with a cheap piece o'junk, $10 little miniature 3-4 cup coffee machine. I'm not even sure of the brand. I think it's supposed to sound like a popular brand, like Mr. Toffee, or Klups...maybe it's a BUMM...I don't know. You put ground coffee and water in, and out comes coffee.
    Haha, man does that sound familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    We need a new coffee maker. Our last one died a couple of months ago. Anyhow, we're looking online and I don't think I trust any of the reviews or ratings.

What are you guys using?
    I am so inclined to agree with you....
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Tassimo. It has the single cup feature. It brews quickly with no mess. The cappucino is pretty good, the coffee is ok, not great, but consistent. I like great coffee but not enough to put up with the hassle.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We owned a Restaurant for over 20 years and used a commercial Bunn coffee maker
    That coffee maker is still going strong and makes better coffee than the local
    Tim Hortons..The secret is in the Restaurant supplied packaged coffee pouches
    Nabob ...And you do NOT get the coffee maker free just for buying their coffee
    Ron

We drink about two pots a day, buying the better beans and grinding. We have tried several brands and types of coffee makers over the years. We finally decided, that after when it comes to the coffee maker, at about the $70 level, the law of diminishing returns sets in real fast. We use a Mr. Coffee coffee maker and arevery happy with it.
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Kuirig all the way. You can grind Ur own too. I put the Braun away for parties. Love the Kuirig. Special edition model. Holds lots of water. I do grind my own and use the adaptor that allows you to use your own coffee. $110 at bed bath and beyond using a 20% discount coupon.

Mike

I know I am late into this but being a coffee snob. I would not be without my super automatic. They are not for everyone and can be a tad expensive but the Jura is hard to beat at the lower end of the super automatic market. I really like Latte's I have not been to a coffee house or a Starbucks in 4 years because mine quite frankly are better. It paid for itself in no time. Here is the one that I have. http://www.amazon.com/Jura-Capresso-.../dp/B00330QVLG

Alan

We drink a lot of coffee. A lot. We wore out a Thermos/Nissan thermal french press in 9 months - the screen wore out. Before that, we wore the glass on a Bodum press until it wasn't transparent. Given that the first 30 minutes of a morning are spent figuring out how to boil water while asleep, we figured it was time to return to drip makers with timers. But we like thermal carafes! And quality coffee! And we're value conscious! Oh, and while I like the convenience of a Bunn, I know better than to use pre-heated water to make coffee. We drink a lot of coffee, so we want it to taste good.

The answer, after a lot of research and lurking on coffee-oriented forums (CoffeeGeek is the best), was a Zojiurishi. Thermal carafe that holds 10 cups. Programmable timer. $66 at Amazon! As with all thermal carafes, it helps when you warm it up before using, and if I warm it at night before pressing 'auto,' coffee is warm from 6AM until 2PM. No joke. Quality coffee. Really darn near 205F. Best coffee maker I've ever had, and I've had.. hmmn... maybe 20 I can remember?

The cons:
    1. As with most such systems, the hot water is piped through a hose that runs through the cold water chamber. A tip on the coffee geek forums suggests insulating the hot water line with a buck's worth of hose, but I haven't gotten that far.
    2. It's Japanese. Not really a con, but it's a tad quirky, so you have to learn its quirks because it just *feels* different from a western maker. Or maybe that's me.

If you get one, message me and I'll tell you the 3 quirks to watch for.

About six or seven years ago, we went with a Capresso and really liked it. It lasted about three years. Replaced it with another Capresso that lasted about two years. Replaced that with a Cuisinart that makes reasonably good coffee but only lasted a year. I was about to pull the trigger on a Technivorm when I found another Cuisinart on sale. If this only lasts a year or two, I'll definitely go with the Technivorm.

The super auto's are really cool. I think if I had it plumbed in I'd like it better - I think? the one you linked to is plumbed in? We have an older (~9 years old was $600ish at the time) super auto that you have to fill (and clean) a water reservoir which is a bit of a pita. It hasn't been used in ~3 years since one of the fiddly little bits inside broke (I have a replacement part, just haven't installed it). I didn't include that on the list because they start at $600 and rapidly go up from there (heh as you note $1000+ is still the "lower" end) and I figured that that was probably outside the OP's price range

yes we have to many coffee makers, its a disease I tell yah.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I know I am late into this but being a coffee snob. I would not be without my super automatic. They are not for everyone and can be a tad expensive but the Jura is hard to beat at the lower end of the super automatic market. I really like Latte's I have not been to a coffee house or a Starbucks in 4 years because mine quite frankly are better. It paid for itself in no time. Here is the one that I have. http://www.amazon.com/Jura-Capresso-.../dp/B00330QVLG

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mackay View Post
    About six or seven years ago, we went with a Capresso and really liked it. It lasted about three years. Replaced it with another Capresso that lasted about two years. Replaced that with a Cuisinart that makes reasonably good coffee but only lasted a year. I was about to pull the trigger on a Technivorm when I found another Cuisinart on sale. If this only lasts a year or two, I'll definitely go with the Technivorm.
    What happened to the Capressos? Do you have crappy water, electricity, or something? I've had mine for ~10-yrs no problems. No way your coffee makers should go out that fast.