Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: argh! color fill blues

argh! color fill blues

hello all,

I am new to this process ( had the Trotec speedy 100 for about 6 weeks) and am having difficulties with the color fill process. I am at my wits end and am hoping someone can tell me what I may be doing wrong.

I have tried; acrylic paints, rub and buff, and gilders paste with, more or less, the same results.

I can fill plastics okay, but it is wood that is driving me up the wall.

My process is (now)-

1. sand
    2. paint/stain
    3. sand
    4. laquer
    5. sand
    6. laquer
    7. johnsons floor wax
    8. raster
    9. fill

• apply thin coat of paint
    • squeegee (with library card, etc)
    • wait 5-10 minutes
    • wipe with damp rag and either
      • have rub and buff stain every inch of surface (not just engraved area)
      • have paint not stay in engraved area but stain the entire piece
      • have paint, etc only stay in the natural grooves of the wood
      • have paint pull out of engraved area
      • or some other combination of the above

is there a step I'm missing? I have read most of the posts that I can find on this forum, and am thinking of giving up on wood at this point.

Attached a pic, sorry, its from the laptops cam.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
    Jonathan
    Trotec Speedy 100

attachment

pendant1.JPG here is the attachment
    Trotec Speedy 100

Jonathan,

It looks like you've done your homework. I wonder if the problem is in an interaction between the floor wax and the rub'n'buff, for instance maybe the R&B is dissolving the floor wax enough to make them stick together. They probably both use the same solvent.

Maybe you should do a test with just the lacquer and fill, no wax to eliminate this factor.

However, if you have specks of paint sticking have you tried to clean them off with DNA at the end? That can be the missing step if you aren't doing that. Personally, I wait a bit longer than 5-10 minutes to clean. More like an hour or more.

Good luck! dee
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 07-04-2011 at 8:02 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee,

you don't have problems getting the acrylic paint off the wood after an hour?
    Trotec Speedy 100

My step 7, rather than wax would be application of transfer tape. Engrave through then it acts as a mask.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The wax step scares me. I'm with Joe - mask with tape (transfer tape, or if a small enough area, blue painter's tape). Also, after engraving, depending on what you use for fill, to avoid any wicking of the fill into the wood pores use a sealer (shellac, clear acrylic, varnish). If you are masked, the sealer can more easily be applied to the engraved areas only, protecting your lacquer finish.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I've heard of transfer tape, but don't know what it actually is or where to get it. Would you mind elaborating for the clueless like me? Thanks.

-Glen

Blog Entries
    To remove the excess gilder's paste (Rub-n-Buff), you have to buff... your wax can be removed by buffing, too, right? So these are not compatible materials. It's likely you're mixing the wax and RnB during buffing, and that will be a difficult mix to remove completely.

If the wood grain is sealed properly, all of the Rub-n-Buff should come out with a good buffing. If you choose Rub-n-Buff as your colorfill, though, transfer tape will be useless as a mask.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It appears to me that you are using an opened grained wood. When you use that type of wood the paint is going to find the small depressions and will be difficult if not impossible to remove. I've found out the hard way that such woods should be avoided. Masking is usually not the answer as there is almost always some seepage under the mask.

Woods such as cherry, walnut, maple, birch, alder and mahogany can be color filled with much less difficulty.

Various color fills will produce varying results with some being more prone to capillary action (much more evident on light woods). There is no really fool proof way to know what's going to work without testing and experimentation.

I think you have taken all precautions necessary in your wood preparation except for grain filling. Rather than go through that I would advise using a different wood.

BTW, mineral spirits is a solvent for RnB and many waxes. DNA is a solvent for acrylic.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-05-2011 at 6:51 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I don't color fill a lot, one style plaque I get from JDS is High Gloss Mahogany. Real nice plaque at a nice price.
    I laser it, then take a firm block with a soft cloth around it, wipe it as cleanly as possible. A magic sponge
    wrapped with a soft cotton towel does the trick. I let it dry pretty good then take some Novus Plastic polish (Fine)
    wipe it over the area until it removes the excess. Then buff with a soft micro-fiber towel. This works nice.

Filling is difficuly to master open grained wood needs to be completly sealed "Flat" of it hold the fill in the graing.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Filling is difficuly to master open grained wood needs to be completly sealed "Flat" of it hold the fill in the graing.
    Martin is right (although his typing fingers are having spasms) - the key is to have a well sealed surface. I color fill plastic every day and it's nothing compared to wood. I also color fill a lot of bone and that is worse than wood (because it's white) for showing specks and bleeding.

A plastic razor blade is very handy for scraping off little dots too and will not mar the surface.

Thanks Mike for clarifying the DNA/mineral spirits thing - I was switching gears and did not explain well.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee

I think clarification of the process you and Martin and I are all talking about is the grain filling process. It is not the same as sealing. Grain filling makes the surface flat so that it won't be home to those little streaks and specks that can't be removed. The entire process is time consuming and not generally something that I would consider for customer work. In fact, I avoid color filling wood whenever possible.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

True, Mike - my idea of a well sealed surface is a perfectly smooth one. I don't generally stop at one or two coats of finish on wood, I keep going until there is a totally smooth surface which is, as you say, filled completely. I also prefer to over-do it on sanding, going to micro grits of 600-800. When I have wood that needs contrast, I usually go with shoe polish, not paint. Unless it's a sign, I think color looks cheesy on wood.

If I were doing a sign needing color, I'd use masking tape and airbrush the color on. Much easier to control, no bleeding and no cleanup.

Red Coin Mah Jong

We are on the same page here.
    I usually go with shoe polish, not paint. Unless it's a sign, I think color looks cheesy on wood.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

thanks all for the advice!

I think the majority of my problem is not waiting an hour after the squeegee phase of the paint fill, AND not having an entirely smooth surface when color filling. Thanks for the tips on the wood species.

As far as the Rub n Buff, I have tried using it also with out the johnsons floor wax involved, and it seems to smear and apply universal coverage to the whole piece (not just the area I want) maybe I gave up with not enough buffing.....anyone use a buffing wheel for this process? I saw on another post that 12-18 hours is the waiting time after squugee-ing off the rub n buff (oh, I soo lack patience)

Dee- I think gilders paste and shoe polish may be the same thing, they sure do look like it!

The reason I'm trying (in vain so far) to master this is, I would like to do 1930s-40s style art nouveau pieces, with their washed backgrounds and (ideally) sharp black lines.

-Jonathan
    Trotec Speedy 100