Thread: Split Top Workbench Question

Split Top Workbench Question

I am in the process of designing a new workbench and wish to make this one with a split top, separated by a tool tray. (And no I am not interested in debating the issue of having a tool tray, I have one on my current bench and would not be without one).

The issue I have is how to best level the two worktops to each other. They will each be 12" wide and 7' long. My current workbench is 26" wide with an attached tool tray so I simply level it with a jointer plane but I don't think that technique will work very well with the split top. Am I just overthinking this.

Make both top surfaces flat. Get one (probably the front one) dead level, where your bench will be used with shims if necessary and anchor it in place.
    Use this surface as the reference plane for the rear piece. If you make both sections at the same time, the amount of adjustment should be small.

If you pass both boards through a planer, do so at the same time.

If you are surfacing by hand, use a gauge to scratch the thickness all the way around each board.

Lastly, when you are done, you can use a large (known flat) board with a heavy sandpaper belt to even things out as needed.

Jointer plane will work just fine, and that's exactly what I did on mine. It just takes a litlle bit more careful checking with the straight edge. I also used plane shavings to shim the pieces as close to level as possible prior to planing so that I would have lexx material to remove.
    bench.JPG

You could mount the tops and then level them with a router sled. The sled sits on rails clamped or otherwise mounted to the edges of the tops and leveled in both directions. Using a bowl bit or a planer bit in the router, slide the router back and forth over the top and move the whole sled down the rails from one side to the other. There are plenty of threads here on the Creek about router sleds. Here's one just started today that has a picture of a router sled.

Bill,

Of you'd prefer buy over build on the sled, Woodhaven sells a nice one. I've used it on my 3.25" x 37" x 7' top. If you go to their site, select "router" then "planing sled" you'll see they're available in a range of widths. You'll als osee how you could buy the extruded aliminum and make your own, of you wished. They also sell a 1-3/8" diameter 2-piece router bit (separate arbor and cutter) that worked really well for me.

Another approach.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!