Thread: I need more holes in my head!!

I need more holes in my head!!

Hi Folks,
    The ones that I have are all plugged up and I blame it on my drill press.

My old Craftman Drill Press just REFUSES to die. Every time I hear funny noises, I think, "Yeah - It's FINALLY going to burst into flame!! "

CURSES!! It usually turns out to be the handles on the table clamps which are rattling. If I would have tightened them, there would be no problem.

Either that or it is the handles of the C-clamps that I have used to secure the "sacrifical" drilling board.

Anyway, what do you folks think of the Delta 17-968 Variable Speed Drill Press? I am getting tired of changing belts on the Craftsman. I don't want to get my hands dirty with that sticky black stuff from the belts. I am far too classy to get my hands soiled! Additionally, as a retired old codger, I have become allergic to all forms of personal hygiene including soap!

I need help!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Dale,
    I'm sure by now the technology has improved to the point that the variable speed system on these drills work. However my experience with variable speed systems goes back some 20yrs and they were a major pain! The problem with the systems at that time was the spring that drove the pulleys apart. The system used on the machine I operated, a Bridgeport, was the best on the market at that time and still we had problems with it. We generally had to disassemble the entire variable speed system and repair it monthly.

Now the most important thing as I remember is to not move the variable speed system unless the machine is running.

Hope this information is helpful, however I would suggest you spend some time on Amazon or E-Bay and read the reviews on the machines with variable speed systems.

Good luck
    Jim D

You could always use the drill press to give yourself that additional hole!

I am happy to hear that your drill press won't die, because I have quite a few craftsman tools myself....

As far as the variable speed drill presses go, I have heard good things about them lately. Supposedly, they are much better than they used to be.

Drill Press

Jim,
    Your picture is FAR to cute to be twenty years old. Therefore, I will have to totally write off your input! If I log on to Amazon or ebay, the FBI, KGB, CIA, etc. can trace me back to the demise of Lincoln and Caesar. I have been there and will not fall into THAT trap again. Thank you for your input!

Jeff,
    I need at least TWO new holes to allow the air to pass through! Therefore, your valued input is also rejected! Thank you anyway!!

Hasn't ANYONE out there ever heard of a DRILL PRESS!!

HINT: It drills holes and is either bench or floor mounted!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Hi Dale, Now I don't want to see any more holes in that head of yours. But for the belts and the black cr&p you get on your hands, just wear some gloves. Now you probably already know this; you're just trying to get a new tool.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Hi Dale:

I have to agree with Alan, I keep a pair of black leather gloves next to the drill press out of arms way. I put them on when I have to change speeds on the drill press. Works pretty well for this old timer. As for the holes in your head, I am sure that they are from all the woodworking knowledge you have accumilated over the years.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

holes in the noggen??

i feel that the old way of belts are better and gloves are very useful to contain the black stuff. less parts makes for better and more stable tools. simple sometimes is better. as fo rthe hole in the noggen they are definatly from the powder post variety and some kiln drying will take care of the compleatly
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Drill Press

Alan,
    I am hurt by your thoughtless accusation that I would PURPOSELY try to find some lame excuse for buying a new tool. I'm a sensitive guy, Alan. If you were the Politically Correct person that I am, you would apologize for abusing my self-esteem!! I'm holding my breath!

Don and Larry,
    I've tried the glove thing but, like OJ, the glove just doesn't fit. Don't tell Alan but I'm trying to justify a new tool. Thanks to Don for the nice compliment. In all honesty, I must admit that all the pics that I post are "yellow dot" markdowns at Goodwill or projects "stolen" from some other book or website.

Larry, my head is already "kiln-dried". However, just because my hair is a strange shade of blonde it doesn't necessarily mean that I am an "air-head". OK - that's the ONLY answer!

Dale T.