Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing:Unwanted Critters

Embarrassing:Unwanted Critters

I hate to say this but I have rats in the shop.I guess due to the lack of rain,having a wooded area behind the house,why now I just don't know???
    Over the last couple of months I notice small nuggets throughout the shop on table tops,work bench,small stack of wood and in front of the area where I keep my adult beverages and on my sweat rags.So I run down to the local HD and purchase a box of Decon,put it out and over acouple of weeks only alittle has been ate.I know that if I don't get this taken care of fast there will be hurds of these rascals all over the place.The local security(my dogs)runs in there all the time barking,but their to slow to catch them.
    If you should have/had this problem before,how did you solve it,any tricks,home remedies??I promise,you will remain anonymous and this subject does kinda pertain to woodworking.Thanks for any advice---Carroll

The problem with poison is that they may die and you then you have to find them after a few days. Not fun.
    I use traps but only have had trouble with mice which attract snakes which bother me more. Seeing a mouse out of the corner of my eye while cutting a board is one thing but seeing a snake could cause me to jump higher.
    My shop is out in the woods and I don't have any food in it but the mats and cloths I use for wiping seem to attract them for nest material which is what they are looking for now.
    They don't like Stevie Ray Vaughan either as I have seen them run out when I turn the volume up. No taste for Texas blues I guess.

Rather than poison, use a mix of 3 parts oatmeal and 1 part plaster of paris. Sets up into a rock in their gut and kills them, with no poison to bother natural predators like owls and such.

Install a litter box and get some cats!

Blog Entries
    You are right about the drought - bugs and critters are hunting water. Near the coast you have to be ahead of the game to keep the Norwegian rats out. HD has a poison specifically for them but i don't remember the brand. They are small green cubes about 1"x1"x3/4". It makes them even thirstier, and I've been told it makes them claustrophobic but i doubt that, and they leave seeking water before they die. It has kept them out of my shop and house. look for something specifically for Norwegian roof rats.

See if you can identify their path....from the trail of "nuggets." Then place many traps in places along the path. I'm also against the use of poison inside of a structure because they sure make a heck of a stink while they decay inside of the wall....if they even take the poison. I'd also do a very careful inspection to see if you can spot their entry and exit point.

You're overthinking. Get some mouse traps and peanut butter. Smash their little necks and throw 'em in the convenient woods. NO MERCY!
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

+1 on what Bill said.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I've been dealing with them in my attic. Seal off any and all spots where they are getting in. #3 Steel wool works well and/or wire mesh. Trap the ones left inside. I've never liked using poison. I think a varmit that has died on that suff stinks a whole lot more than one that didn't. Those electronic traps do work. I was getting around a 50% failure rate on the spring traps I set in my attic.

There are ultrasonic devices which are meant to repel rats. I have heard mixed reports on their efficacy.

I don't know how big "rats" are in the US. If it means "mouse", ie something ~2-3" without the tail there is a glue you spread on plywood and place it strategically it is very effective.

However calling in the pros may be the most effective option.

Blog Entries
    You want one of these:george.jpg He is cute, but deadly for mice.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

5 gal or larger bucket, much larger for bigger rats. Get a coffee can, or paint can for bigger rats. Drill it dead center of top and bottom, run a wire through it. Drill 2 holes near top of big bucket 180 degrees apart, string up coffe can in center of big bucket so it spins easily. Dump antifreeze into bott of big bucket, deeper for bigger rats. Slather the coffee can with peanut butter and make a ramp up to the edge of the big bucket. Mouse walks up ramp, smells peanut butter, jumps on. Can rotates and mouse falls and drowns/dies in/from the antifreeze, cannot jump out if floating. Antifreeze pickles the little pest so little or no smell. Easy enough to set up where only the little buggers can get into it, and it will work until full so only need to check every few days. I know a lot of car guys with less than perfect garages who use these to keep mice from chewing the wires in their winter stored cars.

I want to get some rats just so I can try Steve's idea.

Two words: Pet Owl
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

a year ago i bought a new bandsaw and the day after i set it up i went into my shop to go try it for the first time. i opened the bottom wheel cover before i turned it on and it was chock full of acorns, they just came pouring out! something must have gotten in through the opening in my soffit, still havent found the critter.