Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first peppermill

My first peppermill

Jim Burr was kind enough to send me some peppermill blanks and mechanisms a while back, and I finally got the needed forstner bits. The wood came from Cory Norgart at UpNorthBurls... I love black ash burl! It's 10" tall finished with BLO and ren wax.

My only knock against the mill is that it grinds the pepper really fine, and I prefer a coarser grind... If anybody knows of a kit that allows for a coarser grind, I'm all ears.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions always appreciated.

Thank you, Jim, for the goodies!

black-ash-burl-peppermill.jpg

That is some awesome wood. Very nice job.
    I am sure that you realize this already, but on most styles of grinders, you can adjust the grind by loosening the top screw. If you have it screwed all the way down, then you get the finest grind. Just in case.....

That's one sweet looking mill. I've never made one my self, so don't usually comment on them. But that's some great looking burl, so just had to give my congrats on a fine job.

That's one fine looking pepper mill. Looks like a fun little project and kudo's to Jim B for the parts!
    mj

Ooo.... I like that! Clean and simple. What would be really sweet would be to lose the chrome knob in favor of an ebony one. But it's excellent as is.
    David DeCristoforo

That looks good, David. Good thing Jim sent you the blank for it. Given your usual choice in blanks, the big voids would have let all the pepper corns spill out.

David:

Very nice looking pepper mill. I use Crush Grind mechanisms in my pepper mills and have been using on our kitchen table for 3 years. The knob on the bottom allows you to adjust the coarseness of the pepper.

I like simple lines and great wood. This one has both! I have a couple blanks of spalted maple cut for just this purpose. It has been drying for about a year and a half. After it spends next summer in the attic I will give one a try.

9. I made one out of Walnut about a month ago or so............the grind can be adjusted by backing off the tension on the screw on the top.............finest grind is all the way tight..........loosen it and it should give you a coarser grind.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks folks! I've used the adjustment knob, and it does change the consistency of the grind... from really fine to individual molecules! I guess I was hoping for a nice chunky grind. I like my pepper to crunch a little! I'll check out the crushgrind mechanisms.

Peppermill Operating Instructions

Here's what I give folks that buy my peppermills. - John

Peppermill Operating Instructions

To fill the mill with peppercorns, remove the chrome knob on top of the mill by turning it counterclockwise, remove the mill cap, fill the chamber in the mill base with peppercorns, replace the mill cap and replace the chrome knob. Adjust the grind to suit.

The grind of the mill is adjusted by turning the chrome knob on top of the mill. Turn the chrome knob clockwise for a finer grind. Turn the chrome knob counterclockwise for a courser grind.

It may be necessary to gently shake the mill to settle the peppercorns in the grinding mechanism.

When dispensing pepper, always turn the mill cap in the clockwise direction.

If the grinding mechanism becomes locked because it was over tightened (too much force on the chrome knob in the clockwise direction), loosen the chrome knob on top of the mill, place the mill on a flat surface and press down on the chrome knob to free the grinding mechanism. Adjust the grind to suit.

If the mill cap squeaks when it is turned or the mill cap becomes difficult to turn, lubricate it with PAM® cooking spray or equal. Never lubricate any part of the mill with Vaseline® or any petroleum based lubricant.

Occasionally recondition the exterior of the mill with a neutral color paste wax – Minwax Paste Finishing Wax, Liberon Neutral Paste Wax, Clear Briwax or similar.

That's a great looking mill David. Clean lines and beautiful wood are my favorite combo and this one has both. The Crushgrind will give a crunchy grind. Personally I prefer the Crushgrind mechanisms for the clean top, smooth grind and the adjustment doesn't change accidentally.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

David that is nice. I really like the simple form and the wood is awesome.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fantastic work! Beautiful wood and nice clean lines. Great job.

wow now thats my kind of pepper mill beautifu chunk of wood yikes