Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple homebuilt Pyro unit

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    Well, the 10 amp/2.2v unit I've been playing with gets hotter than I would probably ever use it. I'm still not sure how a 12v/3A unit will compare...
    I would compare the 12v /3A unit to a small 1/4 hp motor and the 10 amp unit to a 1 1/4 hp motor
    the 12 v unit will take longer to do the burning

The main thing that gives you the "HEAT" is the amperage of the output voltage. On a lot of the little transformers that we all have laying around from phones, fish locators, toys, radios, or other portable devices have low output amperage. Most have onlyh miliamps of output. So with the surplus center transformer you get bigger windings for more amperage, so if the output is 12V at 1-3 amps you will have the capacity to burn. If the output is less voltage the amperage should be higher to get the same amount of burning capacity. I have tried a 24V dc transformer for a piece of telephone equipment, but even with 3 amps of output power at 24v was only enough to get the nichrome wire warm so I guess DC voltage is not the answer.

I am still so darn busy that I have not gotten to finish my thoughts on the way I vary the power output, I could use a rheostat, just have to get the right one to handle everything. I think to much, so I will have to take a picture of the stuff and post it soon.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown