Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Claro and BLM cremation urn

Claro and BLM cremation urn

This is my third cremation urn attempt - still trying to get a feel for capacity of these things. 5.25" x 10.25", this one is 100 cu. in. The bottom is Claro walnut, and the top shoulder is BLM. The inset in the top of the lid is BLM burl. Finish is BLO, several coats of shellac, then wet sanded with 600 to level. Several coats of satin WOP were applied, then wet sanded with 600 and one final coat of satin WOP, buffed and Ren wax. The threads are ABS, but I did acquire another set of thread chasers (10 tpi) at AAW and someday I will try the real thing!!

I apologize for the glare - I have a difficult time photographing glossy pieces.

As always, feel free to rip away!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (103.6 KB, 204 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (102.2 KB, 185 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (104.9 KB, 179 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (104.6 KB, 162 views)

John, that's beautiful...

(you've certainly come a long way since table legs...seems like only yesterday.)

Looks very nice John, good work

Very nice! Looks elegant and dignified from here.
    mj

Wow, it's really nice John. I love the form, and the combination of Maple and Claro is visually stunning. I love the beads on the side, something a little different from your norm. It is really a very well done piece.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

John, I like this one very much for an urn. It is a very "classic" shape and I think that this particular shape will be readily accepted by a wide variety of people in the market for a urn. The choice in woods are very good and I really, really like the inset of BLM in the top of the lid. That little touch really dresses it up for me. The finish looks top notch as usual and for the life in me I can't figure out how you and Steve get WOP to work that well! I will have to "try it again"!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Very nice John...very nice. I also like the inset BLM in the top, nice subtle features on this, as I expect an urn should be.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Wow John this is very nice! I love the inset into the lid that looks great! I love that wood combination, they go so well together.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

That's a pretty one John.

The only thing that has me wondering is the size of the knob. I wonder how it would have look if the knob was 20-30% smaller.

Just a thought but it is a wonderful piece.

BTW, where is the dye!!!

Really nice urn, John. I agree about the "knob" being a bit large. But I think it is appropriate and much more suited to an urn than a finial would be. Someone used the word "dignified" and that is what came to my mind also. The beads on the side and the inlay in the top give this a very elegant appearance while being, at the same time, sufficiently understated to lend a dignity that stops just short of being somber. Perfecto!
    David DeCristoforo

Very nice John, love the combo of BLM and Claro and the finish is unbeatable. As for the beads, I really like the set at the Claro BLM transition, but to me, the next set down in the Claro seem out of place and unnecessary but like I said that's me.

"The best things in life are not things."

12. A stunning piece, John..........your finish technique really is outstanding...........beautiful form as well............I think your knob is a little large also, but the inset is a great idea, and perhaps with the need to add threads, the knob had to be as large as it is.....it would be interesting to watch over your shoulder how you go about your turning process, and why you made the decisions you made related to the knob...........I suspect it was to give symmetry to the knob because of the opening needed for the threaded top.

A+ in my book...........should garner a lot of interest..........very well done!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    As always, feel free to rip away!
    All us non-lawyers call it a critique!

As has been mentioned, I like the bead where the two woods meet, but don't think that the second bead on the body really adds much.
    A lot of people get into lathe work for the "instant gratification", but it looks like you are spending more time on your finishes than you do turning!
    Overall, a very nice piece.

John, I like how the 2 woods complement each other, and the finish is very rich and and is a great way to show how much the dearly departed was loved and appreciated. John on figureing out the capacity of an urn by using this link to figure out 2 cones that will fit into the inside of the urn. One from largest dia. to the base of the urn so that the point of the cone is laid out past the bottom so where the base crossects the cone at the correct dia. of the base. Then lay out another that goes from the lagest dia. to a point outside the top to where the cone cross section is at the opening of the urn. Then figure out the full volume of each cone and then subtract the 2 small cones on top and bottom outside the area of inside of the urn. This will give you a pretty good volume of the urn so you can lay it out and make it to fit the amount of ashes it needs to. Here is the link to the formula:

http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/...conevolume.php

Hope I did not confuse you to much, but it works pretty easy once you do it,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Very nice work, John. Love the wood combo.