Thread: Needing 1/8 inch wood sheets...Anyone?????

Needing 1/8 inch wood sheets...Anyone?????

I am needing to find a good source for various species of 1/8 inch wood sheets, preferably 12"x24" sheets. For now I will be satisfied with poplar or pine, but would like a good species selection. It would also be nice to be local, Indiana.
    Bill Richardson
    ULS V3.60 50w

Google Hardwood and Plywood suppliers in your area. I found Northwest Lumber in Indianapolis. http://www.northwestlumberco.com/ Just give them a call and see what they keep in stock. They probably have a much better selection than the big box stores. Many times lumber suppliers don't list their entire stock on their website, but you'd be surprised as to what they keep on the shelves. I use a local lumber company in the vicinity of where I live. I just called, asked what they had available in 1/8 inch sheets, and then asked them to cut it down for me into sizes that would fit in my laser bed. I got twenty 12' x 18' sheets out of a 4' x 8' sheet of birch for $34, including the cut charge.
    Last edited by Cherie Irwin; 07-09-2011 at 8:52 AM.
    Cherie Irwin
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Photographer & Stationery Designer

Epilog Mini 18 40 Watt
    Adobe Illustrator CS5 & Photoshop CS5

I highly recommend Colorado Heirloom. I bought a few red alder and walnut sheets from them and the quality and customer service were outstanding! I don't know if they have the size you are looking for but they will cut to whatever size and thickness you need.

Gary

lumber source

Bill, check and see if you have a woodcrafters nearby. I have one in evansville indiana. They have a great price on 1/8 baltic birch and also at my location they sell scrap at three dollars a pound. usually I get 4 by about 16 inch pieces of walnut, maple, purple heart, zebra all eighth to a quarter thick. Check it out.

Allen

Bill

We have three wood suppliers who are long time members and Friends of the Creek. I have used all their products and have been very satisfied.

For 3 mm Baltic birch: Michael Kowalczyk

For assorted thin hardwoods: George Perzel or Ray Mighells

Just do a search for any of these members then click on their name and you will find contact info or you can send them a pm. All of these people take pains to see that you get very good value for your money.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-09-2011 at 7:16 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Do a search under Scroll Saw Wood. I have a supplier can't think of the name offhand that carries a
    wide variety of woods. I'll post tomorrow when back in the shop.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

12" X 24" X 1/8" thick is very unstable and not easy to keep flat. If you need the large surface 1/8" plywood is easier to control. Baltic Birch is most commonly used and you can pretty much color it to suit. Michael has good stuff. If you're going to cut it into smaller pieces, George and I can help you.

Hi William;
    Your question raises more questions than you can imagine. Assuming you are talking about solid wood and not ply:
    1. Listen to Ray- 1/8" wood is notoriously unstable-tends to suck moisture from the air if not stored properly
    2. Curious if you have found any 12" wide, 1/8" solid stock of any variety.
    3. Pine and poplar are poor choices for engraving-tends to be yellowish with poor contrast but obviously can be filled.
    4. If you can settle for ply, listen to Cherie- there is a ton available at reasonable prices and almost any specie-easy internet search
    5. What are going to use it for?
    Good luck
    Best Regards;
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

I use www.memphishardwoodlumber.com out of Rochester NY. Excellent quality, low pricing, and hardly any footballs in wood.
    Gary Shoemake
    Green Creek NJ
    Mercury laser CLTT and color on crystal

William--
    I am in your neck of the woods down here in Fishers. If you want 1/8" plywood...go to Hollingsworth Lumber. They have 1/8" ply in several species. If you want solid wood and plan on using it for MANY projects, think about getting a bandsaw and joiner and planer and dimensioning your own. Buying solid 1/8" solid lumber is expensive compared to milling and dimensioning it on your own.

Good luck, Mark

One last thing on the Baltic Birch make sure it is interior glue most 4 x 8 are exterior and do not cut well.

If you don't like ply, then do a search for "constructional veneer" (not something your average lumber yard deals with).
    It is normally 1/16" or 3/32", but some softer hardwoods should be available in 1/8".

It works out much cheaper, since the wood is sliced off the log with a big knife, so there is not much waste and it doesn't need planing.
    (To make thin planks the "normal" way, 2/3 or more of the log is converted into sawdust and there is a lot of labour cost in the sawing and planing).
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Cherie, I want in on your secret - 20 pieces 12 ft x 18ft from a 4' x 8' sheet!!!!! I know, I'm just being a smarty. Still if it could be done...

Here is the company I earlier refered too.

www.ocoochhardwoods.com
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Thumbs up Thanks

The customer was very specific on what they wanted.. We are actually doing several different sets of the product with different species of wood and ply as prototypes. I will try and share more once the product goes to market. Thanks for all your responses and concerns.
    Bill Richardson
    ULS V3.60 50w