Thread: One Pound Cut of Shellac before Oiling?

One Pound Cut of Shellac before Oiling?

I've used a 1# cut of shellac on woods before staining to better minimize the "dark end grain" thing...now I've been asked to re-finish some rock maple countertops. I'm a little concerned about blotching, since the refinishing is going to be done on-site, with an oil-and-wax topcoat (tung oil, butcher's wax). The countertops are from an old bowling alley, all maple, no doug fir.

Has anybody here tried to seal the wood first with a light cut of shellac, before applying oil? This just dawned on me, thought I'd ask around the water cooler......

Thanks in advance. Walt.

What "tung oil" are you planning to use?

Bowling alley lanes are oiled every few weeks or so. They may be difficult to stain. Have you used a chemical stripper to remove all the prior finish?
    Howie.........

If you are using a light oil like tung and no stain, then the blotching will be minimal. Just sand up to 320 or 400 and I believe (but I'm no pro) you will be fine.

As an avid bowler I can tell you for certian that bowling alley lanes are oiled daily!

Old bowling alley lanes are constructed with nails not glue. I too want to know what tung oil you plan to use? If it's pure tung oil as I suspect due to your statement about wax and oil as the finish... Shellac will completely negate your intended outcome.

Sealing the wood prior to oiling it is counter-productive; 99.9% of the TO and wax will wipe off.

Most of the wooden bowling alley lanes that are still used have a VERY durable polyurethane finish. Removing it is a must before you oil them.

FYI:The oil used for bowling is to control the skid and action of the new hi-bowling balls Lanes can be oiled to get scores high or very low. Typical 195+ avg. bowlers (myself included) have trouble scoring 160 on the pro-tour lane conditions.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Typical 195+ avg. bowlers (myself included) have trouble scoring 160 on the pro-tour lane conditions.
    OT, I know, but I gotta know: How do pro bowlers do on typical land prep I'd find at a local bowling alley. Can they still ring-in the high scores, or do they have trouble with the different conditions?

Hey Phil.

The pro's on a house shot...they eat it up; 240-250 avg over 12 games or more. Don't forget the pros will bring 20+ bowling balls all drilled a bit different (in relation to the balls center pin) for the different lane conditions. Once they get the shot dialed in; their consistancy in delivery will bury the ball in the pocket on every shot.
    A guy in my league who isn't quit ready for the pro tour, he's still doing regional and state stuff and he avg'd 228 for the season. I heard about a pro that was in a men's classic league (like mine) he avg'd 245 for the year (36 weeks 3 games/week).
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I wouldn't seal under the oil..That defeats the purpose..Oil bring out and pops the deep grain..Sealing it would negate that in my opinion..HTH
    Jerry