Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Cord Wire

Power Cord Wire

Is the wire typically used in conduit (THHN I believe), rated to be attached to a cord plug?

I don't know what the rating is, but it really is not very flexible. From what I remember you want some type of SO__ power cord. Super flexible, durable cover, etc. It's not cheap, but it should last the life of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Is the wire typically used in conduit (THHN I believe), rated to be attached to a cord plug?
    Absolutely not.................You need suitably rated CabTyre.......................Rod.

Really I'm having a brain cramp. I'm trying to figure out what wire would be suitable for connection to a standard duplex outlet and a cord plug. I know Romex is out as well as an extension cord with one end cut off. Is this even possible?

Go to a hardware store and get 12 AWG power cord. They sell it by the foot.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Really I'm having a brain cramp. I'm trying to figure out what wire would be suitable for connection to a standard duplex outlet and a cord plug. I know Romex is out as well as an extension cord with one end cut off. Is this even possible?
    The good power cords start with SO, then may or may not have one or more letters. SO is a nice power cord- built for heavy use, and also available at HD, Lowes, etc.

From the circuit breaker panel to the outlet in conduit you should be using type TW, TWN, THWN or similar single conductor wire and it should be color coded, white for Neutral, Black for Hot, and Green for Ground. From the plug that you plug into that outlet you should use type SO, SOW, or similar electrical cable that contains a white, black, and green wire. This cable should connect your machine to the plug. If your machine draws less than 15 amp maximum then all of these wires can be 14 ga and the circuit breaker in the panel that it's connected to should be 15 amp.. If your machine draws more than 15 amps, but less than 20 amps you should use 12 ga wire and the breaker should be 20 amps. Using a 20 amp breaker and 12 ga wire will save the need to upgrade in the future. This circuit can have more than one outlet so you can connect many different tools to it as long as you don't try to run them all at the same time. The total amp draw of the machines that are running cannot exceed the circuit breaker rating or it will trip off.
    If you are still confused about this you should find someone who can do it for you or hire an electrician. Doing it wrong may cause a fire.

Charley

If you have a machine that draws more than 20 amps max or requires 240 volts, then you should tell us so we can give you the requirements for wiring to it.

The SO, SW cord can be had at the Orange or Blue BORG. You can get 10/3, 12/3, 14/3. Keep in mind the "3" means a black, white and green line. I made the mistake of getting 14/2 thinking the ground was a given, it wasn't so I bought 14/3.

This type of wire is stranded so its flexible. Its around 1.00 a foot.

Blog Entries
    Two of my machines are running on a 12ga extension cord I bought cheap at Harbor Freight, cut up and re-terminated. Very flexible and resilient.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks like I have a huge misfire on this question. I don't need to get from the circuit breaker to the outlet (I familiar with all the relevent codes as I just replaced my main panel and added several new circuits).

I need to get from the outlet to the outlet on my mobile workbench. Further than any prefab cord reaches. I tried SO cable but it didn't look so good when I tired to attach the stranded wire to outlet. Lots of little hairs sticking out looking to short against anything and everything.

On another note, Is SO cable rated for permanent installation like NM-B (romex)?

Blog Entries
    I need to get from the outlet to the outlet on my mobile workbench. Further than any prefab cord reaches. I tried SO cable but it didn't look so good when I tired to attach the stranded wire to outlet. Lots of little hairs sticking out looking to short against anything and everything.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you're using stranded wire under the screws on a socket? If so, that's definitely not allowed, and downright dangerous (sparks, shorts, etc.).
    On another note, Is SO cable rated for permanent installation like NM-B (romex)?
    Unless someone corrects me, I'm going to go with a definite 'no' here, too...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I said I tried. I didn't say I succeeded. I didn't like how it looked so I didn't do it and then started this thread to figure out what the options are to accomplish this.

Looks like I have a huge misfire on this question. I don't need to get from the circuit breaker to the outlet (I familiar with all the relevent codes as I just replaced my main panel and added several new circuits).

I wanted to add a double duplex box to my mobile workbench.

I wired the receptables with solid conductors. And then I cut the end off an extension cord and connected the extension cord conductors to the solid conductors coming from the receptacles with "Wago Lever Nuts." These wire nut replacements do a nice job connecting finely stranded wire to solid conductor wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flexible cord is allowed for applications where flexibility is required (the motor on a radial arm saw for example).

Flexible cord is not allowed as a substitue for permanent wiring, attached to structures or run through holes.

You can mount a box on your mobile table with a receotacle or two in it, and use flexible cord to plug into an outlet somewhere in the shop.

Regards, Rod.

I tried SO cable but it didn't look so good when I tired to attach the stranded wire to outlet. Lots of little hairs sticking out looking to short against anything and everything.

Anthony,

Strip your stranded wire, twist it and bend it to form a "J", then solder it with a small soldering iron. Now when you put it under the screw terminals you will not have the strands sticking out.