Thread: Which CA Glue?

Which CA Glue?

I just started to turn my first bowl (10X4 cherry) blank and found a bark inclusion about 2"X2" on the outside. There isn't a hole where the bark is just a bit of tear-out. I'd like to try CA glue to see if I can harden it. I've not used CA glue for this purpose yet and went to Vince's website and found three thicknesses available. Any thoughts as to which one might work better?
    Thanks to everyone on SC. I've really learned a lot.

P.S. Already been sucked-into the vortex big-time
    Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Not sure why you might think you need to use CA on some torn fibers at this point. Have you tried sanding it yet? CA IMHO tends to soak into the wood and cause a hard to remove stain afterwards. If you could post a picture, that would help us out!

Shellac works well for this without staining.

Good Luck

Alan

If the wood is soft in that spot and you go with CA I would use the thin CA. Harvey is correct in it can leave a stain. If you are planning on using a hardening finish and not oil I would try soaking the area with that finish and let it harden.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I agree with Alan. If it is just tear out I would use shellac or spray on some lacquer then sand. If you use CA a oil finish won't work well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sand first, fill later!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

On all the natural edge furniture I make (table tops) I use clear shellac. Works great.

Jimmy
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Thanks, Guys. I really appreciate your help! Lots to learn. I think I'll turn it down to finish shape, sand and then use shellac so it doesn't stain. I'll try to post a pix when I get to final shape and then when its finished.

about shellac are you guys using the mixed stuff already to go. or do you buy the flakes and mix it yourself?
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Cal,

Either will work. I mix my own.

Alan

I use a very dilute shellac - 2 parts DNA to 1 part liquid shellac. Use a spray bottle and just spritz the area to be hit with the CA.